No Internet Please

Got a suggestion for Remote Potato? Run it past us in here, and also check out the roadmap/list of planned additions to Remote Potato.
Forum rules
No spamming, flaming, or abuse - play nicely!

No Internet Please

Postby avangi01 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:03 am

Okay ..I got a secondhand iPad for the Wife and kids to play with (I am waiting holding out for a Windows 8 Tablet in 2013) ..and I have installed the service on my Windows 7 box that records OTA via Media Centre and I have a large collection of HD h256 encoded TS files and your apps does an awesome job of steaming this data to the iPad via the local network ..thanks ..

However, when my internet is down so is my access to Remote Potato. That's a pain. I don't need the EPG as I use the Media Centers built in EPG for scheduling and I will never need to stream via the internet. So please make this service function fully on the remote network ..i'll spot you 3 heineken :ugeek:

Thanks
Arnold
avangi01
New Potato

Re: No Internet Please

Postby PeeWee » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:46 pm

Hi Arnold,

There is no need for your internet connection to be up if you connect your ipad to your own wireless LAN, and enter the local ip address of your windows 7 box as server credentials in your iPad. That local ip address is not 127.0.0.1 btw, but something like 192.168.0.1 or 10.0.0.100.

Good luck
PeeWee
Wise Potato

Postby avangi01 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:16 pm

Thanks PeeWee;

I am pretty sure my iPad is connected via the 192.168.0.1 range and when my ISP goes down Remote Potato gives me a connection error. But my local network is fine. I'll verify this at home tonight by shutting down my ISP router. I agree Remote Potato should still work.

Thanks
Arnold
avangi01
New Potato

Postby avangi01 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:59 am

Okay ..confirmed ..lost my internet ..lost the ability to play files via Remote Potato connecting to "192.168.1.101" ..I can browse my files but when I want to play a file I get an internet connection error..internet came back online ..potato works now ..Can anybody else verify this behavior?

I just manually validated ...I unplug my internet router click on potato server "How do I connect to this server?" and the local ip address is gone ...so no wan no potato ..weird
avangi01
New Potato

Postby PeeWee » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:24 pm

Are the files DRM protected by any chance (Digital Rights Media i believe)?. Maybe the server tries to fetch a key on the internet of some sort? Does this behaviour occur with video/movie files on the server also? Weird indeed.
PeeWee
Wise Potato

Postby avangi01 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:53 pm

Nope DRM all file have been re-packaged and encoded my myself. I agree it is weird. Can anybody else confirm this behavior?
avangi01
New Potato

Return to Feature Requests