How to post debug logs for Remote Potato server/client

Spotted something that's not working as you think it should? Post bug reports in here and read about the known issues.
Forum rules
No spamming, flaming, or abuse - play nicely!

How to post debug logs for Remote Potato server/client

Postby Carlos » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:37 pm

From time to time, you may be asked to provide debug logs when we are handling a support/bug request. This post explains how to obtain this information, which you should then post to the forums AS AN ATTACHMENT.

Getting Debug Log Information From Remote Potato Server (you are able to reproduce the error)
ON YOUR PC:
1. Delete the file C:\ProgramData\RemotePotato\RPServer.log
2. Open the Remote Potato Settings App, and stop the server.
3. Select the 'Debug' tab and tick all the boxes.
4. Re-start the server.

THEN, ON YOUR CLIENT (WEB BROWSER / IPHONE):
5. Re-connect to the server and perform the step that you are having problems with. Note down any error messages that appear.

THEN, ON YOUR PC:
6. Open the file C:\ProgramData\RemotePotato\RPServer.log and post the contents here. (as an attachment)

Getting Debug Log Information From Remote Potato Server (the error already occurred and you don't know how to make the error occur again)
You can still post us your log as it might contain useful information. Simply open the file C:\ProgramData\RemotePotato\RPServer.log and post the contents here. (as an attachment)

Getting Debug Log Information From Remote Potato Silverlight Skin
1. In your web browser, browse to the main Remote Potato page. (silverlight skin)
2. In the menu, choose 'Settings' and select all the debug boxes.
3. Refresh the browser window and re-login.
4. Perform the steps that give you the error message, or the steps that you are having problems with.
5. At the bottom of the browser window, click the 'View Log' link.
6. If the text is selectable, copy and paste it into your forum posting. Alternatively, take a screenshot and attach this to your forum posting.

Carlos

FAQ: How to post debug logs | How to clear your browser cache

If you've found Remote Potato useful, please consider buying me a pint. Much appreciated!
Carlos
Head Potato

Re: How to post debug logs for Remote Potato server/client

Postby davisob » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:13 am

Hi

I tried to play two recorded shows scheduled through remote potato and they did not stream and i played one that was already scheduled by media center that did play.

The file was too big so i went and only tried to play one of remote potato's recording. It would not let me upload . what should i do.
davisob
Potato

Postby Carlos » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:41 pm

Please delete the log file BEFORE performing the steps, then the log file will be small enough to upload.

If you've found Remote Potato useful, please consider buying me a pint. Much appreciated!
Carlos
Head Potato

Postby davisob » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:58 pm

i did erase it last time but went ahead and deleted it again and tried to play a show recorded through remote potato. Within 10 seconds the file was 1227 kb. What can i do it will not upload.
davisob
Potato

Postby davisob » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:59 pm

one more time. i tried to play it for only 2 seconds i will try to upload
Attachments
RPServer.log
(204.71 KiB) Downloaded 916 times
davisob
Potato

Postby davisob » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:40 am

I am still unable to stream live tv and no one seems to want to help me. How do I get my money back from the itunes store.
davisob
Potato

Postby Carlos » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:43 pm

davisob wrote: no one seems to want to help me.

The reason you've not had a reply is because you have been writing about your problem in the wrong thread! This thread is about "How to post debug logs". None of the moderators check this thread for replies, why would we? It's about posting debug logs, not your streaming problem. If you have a support request, you need to start a new thread.

To help you, I have set up a new thread to discuss your problem here - click here to read about it and let's try to resolve the issue for you.

Carlos
Head Potato

Return to Support - Bugs