Remote Potato Not Respecting Series Recording Defaults

Spotted something that's not working as you think it should? Post bug reports in here and read about the known issues.
Forum rules
No spamming, flaming, or abuse - play nicely!

Re: Remote Potato Not Respecting Series Recording Defaults

Postby Carlos » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:24 pm

Thanks, and thanks for logs.

Do you use any third party apps that might be interfering with your guide data and/or schedules?

C

FAQ: How to post debug logs | How to clear your browser cache

If you've found Remote Potato useful, please consider buying me a pint. Much appreciated!
Carlos
Head Potato

Postby spaceboy » Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:04 pm

i use BigScreen EPG to get my guide data in, but as far as i know this just loads daily through the loadmxf route, identical as if it were downloaded.

apart from that nothing really, there's something that archives from the recordedtv folder on a daily basis but this doesn't affect my recording schedules. anything that would be archived is set to keep all. My Channel Logos as well.

i previously used BigScreenByRemote and this seemed to work ok

i've also done some further testing:

using the "keep this many" option in RP settings works fine so i can set this to 10 but on some i want to keep all
keep until i delete gets communicated correctly but its still only going to keep 1
same with until space is needed
same for until i watch
if i choose media center default in the settings app it sets it as until i delete and 1 recording whereas it should be until space needed and as many as possible.
the more i look there more i think this asking me to confirm changes when i exit a RP scheduled series in MC when i have made no changes. It keeps asking me this even if i return to the same series and exit without making any changes

apart from that i'm out of ideas! thanks for your help
spaceboy
Hot Potato

Postby Carlos » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:50 pm

Hi there

My best guess, and I've been pondering this hard, is that the 3rd party guide import tool you're using (Big Screen EPG?) is altering your guide database in some way that is changing the series settings.

I'm really sorry but I don't have any more time to work on this right now. Apologies, hopefully in the future at some point.

Carlos

FAQ: How to post debug logs | How to clear your browser cache

If you've found Remote Potato useful, please consider buying me a pint. Much appreciated!
Carlos
Head Potato

Postby spaceboy » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:18 pm

Hi Carlos,

Cheers for your efforts. I'd be surprised if was the only person using Big Screen EPG and Remote Potato, the standard guide data is not much good if you're receiving sky channels.

i now understand why it only ever recorded the first in these series recordings. it was responding correctly, because it was set to keep "1" and "until i delete" and as i hadn't deleted the first recording it didn't make any more.

I'm convinced that the remaining problem has something to do with the being asked to confirm series settings on exit even though i've made no changes. Its almost as if they are set up with an invalid "keep this number" setting and when you go into the series it defaults to "1". which leads me on to ask is there any reason why there isn't an option in the server or web app settings to set it manually to keep "as many as possible"? RP seems to respond correctly to this setting if i set it manually to a certain number of recordings. Perhaps because RP doesn't allow for the settings i have in MC it gets interpreted incorrectly?

anyway, its not too much of a problem, i mainly use RP to schedule single recordings rather than series so for now I'll have to remember this. And I'm sure there's more interesting things you can be working on for now!
spaceboy
Hot Potato

Postby spaceboy » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:35 pm

Carlos,

further tested and I have come to the conclusion that the problem is the settings in RP just do not match those available in MCE so I'm not surprised its calling the options incorrectly. If I select the option in RP server settings that is represented by a - MCE interprets that as a request to keep the recording for 1 week. I'd never even heard of this setting but upon investigation it is available but its not one that i have ever used before.

I am 100% sure that RP is scheduling series recordings with invalid data and that MCE is doing its best to interpret that but failing. the asking me to save changes when no changes have been made is the confirmation.

i also thought i can easily prove to you that BSEPG is not the problem. If you want i can reset the MCE database and use the standard guide data as i can always restore from a back up post testing. let me know if you're interested

cheers!
spaceboy
Hot Potato

Postby brennok » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:45 pm

Carlos wrote:Let's discuss this here, rather than in the beta testing forum, it's a better place for it.

On my system, when I make a series recording using Remote Potato, I then go and check it by opening Windows Media Center and inspecting the 'series settings', I assume you do the same.

For me, the following function correctly, i.e. WMC displays what I selected within Remote Potato:

- This Channel/ Any Channel
- 'Keep Until'. (until I delete / until I watch / latest recordings')
- Keep Number of recordings.
- 'Stop' padding

The following don't seem to work correctly at the moment;
- Airtime. (i.e. 'any time' or 'this time')

The following are untested:
- 'Start' padding

Does this match what you are seeing? And can others report back too please.

To clarify: I am talking about the SILVERLIGHT series recording option, NOT the HTML skin. I haven't updated the HTML skin in a while, it probably doesn't respect any defaults at all

I am not seeing the same thing, but am seeing issues similar to spaceboy. I am running My Channel Logos and that is all from what I remember.

My default keep until is until space needed and with default in Remote Potato I see Keep until I delete.
My default number of recordings is set to all and RP sets it for 1.

I can't currently remember if there are any others that don't match and someone is on it so I can't check.
brennok
Raw Potato

Postby spaceboy » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:33 am

glad to hear that someone else is having the same sort of problems and even better that you're not using any add-ins that could affect the EPG. My basic problem with RP is that i can't see how it can support my default settings when they are not available as manual settings in either the server or the client apps.
spaceboy
Hot Potato

Postby eMpTy3000 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:00 pm

I love Remote Potato! I've got the iPad app and I've got one major gripe.... Any new series recording that I setup is set to only keep one recording. That is a deal breaker for setting up new series recordings because I don't want to have to go back in and change them all after I've set them up and I can't have media center only keep one recording.

If that can just pull from the details or give me an option foe it on the iPad app that would be fantastic! Thanks again... Great program and apps!

Edit:
I know I can set it to keep 10 but I'd love the option to be able to keep as many as possible (I think that is the wording media center uses). There are some series that I start recording and don't get to watching them until well after 10 recordings.
eMpTy3000
Raw Potato

Postby smarch » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:38 pm

Just want to second spaceboy. The "keep until" setting gets set to "1" when my media center setting is "as many as possible", when setting up a recording in RP.

Love the RP. It's a godsend. Just wish I could do series recordings without manually fixing that setting every time.
smarch
Raw Potato

Postby sccrgoalie1 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:47 pm

Hi Carlos,

This appears to still be an issue. I am trying to add the "KeepNumberOfEpisodes" feature to my Media Center app but no matter how many I tell it to keep it always gets set to 1 in media center. Any chance we can try to troubleshoot what is going on here. Also, I would love to have the option to have keep as many as possible.

Thanks!
Mark
sccrgoalie1
Hot Potato

PreviousNext

Return to Support - Bugs