Remote Potato Not Respecting Series Recording Defaults

Spotted something that's not working as you think it should? Post bug reports in here and read about the known issues.
Forum rules
No spamming, flaming, or abuse - play nicely!

Re: Remote Potato Not Respecting Series Recording Defaults

Postby spaceboy » Tue May 10, 2011 10:01 am

This still doesn't work properly for me. Whenever I try to schedule through RP it always sets it up so that it only keeps 1 recording. Secondly it doesn't properly respect the post padding i use. I want 10 minutes, not 10 minutes where possible
spaceboy
Hot Potato

Postby spaceboy » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:45 am

carlos, has this ever been fixed? i'm trying to schedule a series recording again today and its still only keeping 1 recording, whereas i want it to keep everything, forever.

Thanks
spaceboy
Hot Potato

Postby Carlos » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:06 am

Let's discuss this here, rather than in the beta testing forum, it's a better place for it.

On my system, when I make a series recording using Remote Potato, I then go and check it by opening Windows Media Center and inspecting the 'series settings', I assume you do the same.

For me, the following function correctly, i.e. WMC displays what I selected within Remote Potato:

- This Channel/ Any Channel
- 'Keep Until'. (until I delete / until I watch / latest recordings')
- Keep Number of recordings.
- 'Stop' padding

The following don't seem to work correctly at the moment;
- Airtime. (i.e. 'any time' or 'this time')

The following are untested:
- 'Start' padding

Does this match what you are seeing? And can others report back too please.

To clarify: I am talking about the SILVERLIGHT series recording option, NOT the HTML skin. I haven't updated the HTML skin in a while, it probably doesn't respect any defaults at all

FAQ: How to post debug logs | How to clear your browser cache

If you've found Remote Potato useful, please consider buying me a pint. Much appreciated!
Carlos
Head Potato

Postby spaceboy » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:53 am

no, not for me. the problem is as i say:

if i manually set the recording details RP only ever schedules to keep 1 recording no matter what options i choose. everything else seems to be ok now. i also chose to have it ending 10 mins exactly after, whereas RP schedules it for 10 mins where possible but this seems to be a wider MC problem

if i use the default, not only do i have the problem above, it also ignores the post padding defaults and chooses 1 minute rather than the default 10.

the first problem is the greatest, it means i cannot use RP to schedule recordings that i may want to keep for any time
spaceboy
Hot Potato

Postby spaceboy » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:06 pm

hey carlos, is there any more i can test for you on this? thanks
spaceboy
Hot Potato

Postby Carlos » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:20 am

Hi @spaceboy

Sure, with RP for iPad being released this week it's all been a bit mad. It's actually very hard to test this as I haven't had any other recent reports of this issue, so it's unclear to me whether this is an issue with Remote Potato, with your Media Center setup, or with something else.

A few things to do:

- Consider stopping the server, deleting all your settings in C:\ProgramData\RemotePotato\.. and then re-loading the settings app.
- After you've done this, check the default recording settings in the remote potato settings app.
- What are you default recording settings in Media Center itself? Check them.
- Wipe your log file, enable "debug full API". then make a recording. Check it's incorrectly set "keep 1 episode" and then post the log file here.
- Remember to un-tick "Debug Full API" when you're done.

I'll see what I can figure out from the log, but there is a possibility this is something else entirely - hopefully we can figure it out!

Carlos

If you've found Remote Potato useful, please consider buying me a pint. Much appreciated!
Carlos
Head Potato

Postby spaceboy » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:12 pm

i'll get onto the steps you mention below when i get home but just to fill you in on a bit more detail. I've seen the same on two separate installs on Windows, in fact you could largely say on different hardware. also i see it whether i schedule from the web app or the ios apps from two different ios devices. thats why i'm surprised no-one else seems to be reporting this

anyway logs to come from home...

thanks
spaceboy
Hot Potato

Postby spaceboy » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:16 am

ok deleting the settings file didn't do much so i uninstalled, deleted the contents of c:\program files\remote potato and reinstalled 1.05

In RP Settings
pre padding set to 180 secs and post 600 secs, quality best, don't record repeats box unchecked and keep until set to MC default.

In MC
general recording defaults - keep until space needed, start 3 mins before, finish where poss 10 mins after.
series only defaults - new and rerun, one channel only, anytime and keep as many as possible.

went into the web app and scheduled a series recording. it shows me the correct settings from the server app and the series recording is done. in MC everything is fine except that its only going to keep up to 1 recording. the problem is i've found that once it records the first it never actually records any more as it seems to think that will conflict with the policy of only having one recording

then i scheduled a one off recording, which seems to be ok now actually.

the log is 15Mb so i'll zip it and email
spaceboy
Hot Potato

Postby Carlos » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:13 am

Hi

Thanks for this. I have been through your log file and read your post carefully.

A couple of things. Firstly, what happens if you set a 'keep until' value within Remote Potato settings application rather than leaving it at 'Media Center Default'? Does it then do what you've asked it to do?

Secondly, I found a potential issue in the code which might be the root cause - if the above doesn't work, please try this new server with it set back to 'Media Center Default' again and report back:
http://www.remotepotato.com/downloads/R ... 6_Test.zip

If it still doesn't work, there may be some additional debugging info in the log if you set 'Debug Scheduling' and 'Debug Advanced'.

Carlos

Carlos
Head Potato

Postby spaceboy » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:50 am

ok, no change from changing the setting in RP, I went for keep until space is needed (which is the same as in MC) but it did exactly the same

i then tried scheduling a recording with the same RP settings but manually adjusting the "keep until" within the RP web app to "until I delete" and this is processed properly.

So in both, the keep until bit is being processed properly, its the keep up to bit thats wrong. one other thing that i have noticed that is strange, when i go into the series recording options within MC and exit, without making any changes, it always asks me if i want to save because changes have been made.

no change with 1.06. so i set the logging options you mentuioned and then scheduled another series. logs on way by email

thank you!
spaceboy
Hot Potato

PreviousNext

Return to Support - Bugs