Remote Potato in Windows 8

General discussion about Remote Potato, plus download and new release information.
Forum rules
No spamming, flaming, or abuse - play nicely!

Remote Potato in Windows 8

Postby dgre057 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:53 pm

Hey!

So like most people here, I love Remote Potato. I use it daily!
And for those running Windows Media Center, I recon Windows 8 is pretty exciting. It brings the whole windows system into easy couch control. And with the release of Win8 Release Preview, I decided I'd see where things were at. Much to my relief everything seems to be functioning brilliantly. Win8 is exceptionally fast, DVBLink TVSource, and my card reader and everything integrates perfectly. So that's very exciting!

Massive downside! Remote Potato isn't working!! :( I totally understand that Win 8 (especially Media Center) is BRAND new, so not hassling at all. But because of how much I love Remote Potato, and how keen I am to keep trialling Win8, I thought I'd put this up so work can begin!

The installation seems to go smoothly, and all the setup seems to run as per usual. Except, once set up, when you look at the "TVGuide" tab, no channels are imported (nor do they get imported if you tell it to reload). And when you start the service, I can't connect to it from anywhere (remote or within home network). So I'm not sure what the problem is. It's the same computer, with all the same settings as I connect with when booted in Win7.

I've noted there is a "Windows 8 CP Support" thread that reports similar issues, but without a solution from what I can tell. I also had an issue with user accounts and passwords until I changed Win8 to a local user account (instead of signing in with Windows Live).

Also, I use DVBLink TVSource to integrate my paid subscription channels with WMC, and they reported an issue with registering a Windows Media Center addon (with a work around). I'm not sure whether this could be related??
http://dvblogic.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=17312

Anyway, if anyone has ideas, or would like help testing ideas, let me know. Because it would be very exciting to get this working! Then, at my house at least, it's all on for Win8!!
dgre057
New Potato

Re: Remote Potato in Windows 8

Postby stephenmilsont » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:57 pm

Only the consumer preview is released till now of windows 8 so, i am looking for the official full version of it then first i use it and decide the next plan for Remote Potato.
stephenmilsont
Raw Potato

Postby dgre057 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:22 am

Fair enough. The release preview has been released too. But not the final release obviously.

My personal impression is that Win8 is perfect for HTPC applications...I'm quite keen to implement it at home when it's released. So it would be fantastic if Remote Potato supports it!
dgre057
New Potato

Postby TheBoy » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:21 pm

I won't be in a hurry to go to Win 8 on my media center. For one thing, its no longer included - you have to buy as an extra. The other thing, as far as I can see, there are no improvements.

Not sure I'll be in a hurry on my main PCs either - Metro has no place on a desktop, and the 'legacy' interface is too knobbled. MS clearly think that Metro is the way forward, and for tablets, it probably is.

As an IT Professional, I am forced to use the latest and 'greatest', but all my home PCs have been 'upgraded' back from Win8 CP to Win7... ...something I have never done before.

I know a few UK corporate companys who are predominately Windows/Office users are lobbying MS to reinstate the status of the (now named) 'legacy' interface and application system. I expect Win8 to be short lived.
TheBoy
Hot Potato

Return to General