Remote Potato on HP Touchpad

General discussion about Remote Potato, plus download and new release information.
Forum rules
No spamming, flaming, or abuse - play nicely!

Remote Potato on HP Touchpad

Postby wla2000 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:33 pm

Hello. I have an HP Touchpad, which runs webOS 3.0.1 and has a "webkit" browser installed that supports HTML5 (though a google search shows that its HTML5 support may be spotty). I have installed Remote Potato server on my home PC, and opened up ports 9080-9083 through my router. I can access the Remote Potate website on my Touchpad, but it doesn't work fully.

What works is possibly the most important part, which is that I can successfully schedule programs to record in Windows Media Center. I can also look at still photos in my picture library.

Music browsing is weird. When I choose a song, all it will do is download the song - it won't "stream".

I tried to play a recorded TV show, and it looks like it is loading, but never actually starts playing.

Of course, there is no Silverlight capability in the browser, so I chose the "HTML" option when I log in.

Is there any fix for this?

Note that I can successfully get to the server and play songs, watch recorded TV, view pictures, etc., using another Windows PC, using IE9 with Silverlight. So I think I have the server set up correctly.

Thanks!
wla2000
New Potato

Re: Remote Potato on HP Touchpad

Postby wla2000 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:28 pm

I have one more issue. When I connected to Remote Potato server I was doing so on my local network. Of course I want to do so from the public Internet also, using my dyndns.com address, which is http://<my system>.dyndns-remote.com:9080. That's not working!

One minor complication is that I set up my dyndns.com account some months ago to allow access to an Ampache music streaming server installed on my home PC. For that I use the basic address without a port number, which defaults to port 80 since it is using HTTP. That accesses my Ampache server and allows music streaming anywhere in the world.

I followed the directions to add port 9080 as the host port and ports 9081-9083 as the port range, in the user-defined application list for the host PC, using the AT&T 2WIRE router configuration tool. No such configuration was necessary for Ampache because it uses the default address.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
wla2000
New Potato

Postby andreaseide » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:28 am

Can you post a screenshot of your custom app forward setup from your router?
I guess that the problem is there. Have seen similar issues before.
Pm it tome if you don't want to post it here.
--AndreasE--
Remote Potato Forum Moderator.

FAQ: How to post debug logs | How to clear your browser cache
andreaseide
Wise Potato

Postby wla2000 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:16 pm

The setup screen shot is attached. Thanks.
Attachments
uverse router.docx
(161.73 KiB) Downloaded 461 times
wla2000
New Potato

Postby andreaseide » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:45 pm

Hi.
I see your problem there.
You should change the port range to be 9080 to 9083 and leave host port field empty.
This will most likely fix your problems.
--AndreasE--
Remote Potato Forum Moderator.

FAQ: How to post debug logs | How to clear your browser cache
andreaseide
Wise Potato

Postby wla2000 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:16 pm

I originally had my ports set up as you mentioned, with the port range equal to 9080 to 9083. When I did that, it populated the "Host Port" value with the first of the range, which is the default value. I tried setting them back that same way just now, and had the same result.

Any more ideas? Thanks.
wla2000
New Potato

Postby Sparkles » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:34 am

Hmmmm, just got an HP Touchpad myself, and am wondering how to get this working.
Any luck here?
I've been working a few hours getting RP installed at the server side, but can't access via my Touchpad HTML5 browser.
Am I missing something? Should RP work with an HTML5 browser automatically, or does it need some type of plugin that doesn't exist?

I can login to my server via my LAN, and get to see the basic menu options.
I can see the recorded WMC shows with thumbnails.
I can click the thumbnails, and then have 4 options for stream quality.
When I click on any of the stream qualities, I see a 'little, light blue colored icon' in the middle of the dark blue RP window, but that's it, not video.
I've been able to stream other items from this server to video players on various devices, so I'm guessing my router is set up properly, with ports 9080-9083 set at TCP, empty host port, forwarded to a static IP on my HTPC.
I have unistalled all Shark009 codec packs on my systems.
What else could I be missing, or will this not work with a Linux based HTML browser on the HP Touchpad?

Thx for any feedback
Sparkles
Raw Potato

Postby stephenmilsont » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:38 pm

Remote Potato on HP Touchpad, i am really very surprised to know this but also having fact in mind which says that everything is possible for the doers and that's exactly what's happening.
stephenmilsont
Raw Potato

Postby TheBoy » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:24 pm

I picked up a 32Gb Touchpad, brand new, for £109, so will try to have a play when I get time.
TheBoy
Hot Potato

Return to General