HTML5 replacement for Silverlight

Got a suggestion for Remote Potato? Run it past us in here, and also check out the roadmap/list of planned additions to Remote Potato.
Forum rules
No spamming, flaming, or abuse - play nicely!

HTML5 replacement for Silverlight

Postby Livin » Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:23 pm

Please convert the Silverlight UI to an HTML5 UI so it will run on all modern browsers.

Background...
Microsoft formally announced they will be moving all UI development to HTML5 and CSS3 - thus, they are dumping Silverlight. They did not formally say the latter but I know many people in MS (I worked there for many years) and MS is are actively converting UIs running Silverlight over to HTML5. One, of several, clear signs of this is Microsoft's Vice President Julie Larson-Green announced that future development plans are "based on HTML5 and JavaScript."
Livin
Hot Potato

Re: HTML5 replacement for Silverlight

Postby notsofastmatey » Thu May 03, 2012 4:44 pm

I'd agree with this. Silverlight doesn't seem to be getting any more love from Microsoft, and the Moonlight project looks to be dying off too. I had hoped to get a Raspberry Pi running as an RP client (and that might still work via the HTML interface) but it would be lovely to have all the Silverlight bells and whistles.
notsofastmatey
New Potato

Re: HTML5 replacement for Silverlight

Postby Livin » Fri May 18, 2012 2:39 am

Silverlight was doomed to fail from the start, I won't go into why but I worked at MS when they were dreaming it up... the failure had nothing to do with the technology itself.

But, I'd like to hear from Carlos on this.

Carlos?
Livin
Hot Potato

Return to Feature Requests