Smart Potato v1: Windows Phone 7 Client [Updated 10/16/2011]

Discuss the Remote Potato clients available for Windows Phone 7
Forum rules
No spamming, flaming or excessive self promotion - you have been warned!

Re: Smart Potato: Windows Phone 7 Client [Updated 4/29/11]

Postby spokanedj » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:01 am

Smart Potato 1.8 is now available on the Windows Phone 7 Marketplace. This update includes quite a few major and minor updates. If you have created a review on marketplace for Smart Potato, we would appreciate you updated the review to reflect the current version. outdated reviews on old versions can negatively impact users choice to try Smart Potato. If you have questions or problems, please feel free to contact us at smartpotato@ntworld.com or leave a message on one of the related forums experts.windows.com or remotepotatoforums.fatattitude.com

One major update is support for some of the newest Remote Potato (RP) features found in the latest tech previews. The RP streaming engine now supports multiple ports so that when switching between streams or moving forward and back, you will no longer received the dreaded “already streaming” error message. You may need to add the additional ports 9081-9084) to your router or firewall for the streaming to work.

The viewing experience has also been enhanced by having the app more accurately track your last viewing position in situations where the user does not hit stop (i.e., phone call, windows button, back button, etc.). A new pivot item called “watched” was added to the Recorded TV section where you can quickly see the shows you have previously watched and provides a one-touch resume.

The guide section has been updated so that the channel list on the left is stationary. Additionally the guide will load the current day faster, as it only requests data from the current time to midnight rather than the whole day for each channel.

Other new features include picture library browsing, remote control (main media center only) and a primary/secondary host setup for those who have to access their media center by different hosts or addresses dependent upon if they are local or mote. TVDB support is also now integrated into the Recorded TV episodes section, for displaying the TV show banner rather then the name (if available). Clicking on the TV Show Name or banner will display the TV show summary and original air date.

We do apologize that Videos and Music did not make it into the Media Browser section for this release, as we are still finalizing the media player elements for those two pieces. The next update to Smart Potato will most likely be v2.0, which will include a re-vamped start screen using a panorama layout and hopefully be more visually appealing than the current main menu list is. The full change log for v1.8 is listed below.

V1.8 - 4/29/11
----------------------------
Changed: Guide Retrieval optimized for today rather than loading all of today per channel�
Changed: The left channel column is now stationary when you scroll the guide horizontally
Changed: Guide only shows 6 channels at a time rather than 7
Changed: Reload from main screen reloads the channels as well
Changed: Episode text is allowed to wrap in most lists
Changed: Removed stream size options, as they are not applicable anymore
Changed: Recording from the Search Menu brings up the Record Settings Screen now
Changed: Record settings screens shows results of the record request and conflicts
Changed: Main Screen Reload button removed (go into settings and back to reload all)
Changed: Removed save/cancel buttons from settings screen (Use Back to save settings)
Changed: Settings screen uses a pivot control rather than panorama control
Changed: During streaming the overlay automatically disappear after five seconds
Changed: Network detection type performed on a background thread for faster startup

Added: Secondary Server (typically a WAN IP/host) configurable if primary fails connection
Added: Preliminary support for Pictures via Browse Files (RP 0.98.18+)
Added: Preliminary support for Remote Control options (RP 0.98.25+)
Added: Support for multiple streaming ports with Remote (RP 0.98.18+)
Added: When viewing an episode from the guide, the Show Image is displayed (RP 0.98.25+)
Added: Watched pivot item in the Recorded TV shows previously watched with auto resume
Added: Banner Logo/information displayed from TVDB and if you click on the Title or banner

Fixed: Could not scroll to bottom options of main menu.
Fixed: Last watched positions now saved when you go back or exit w/out hitting stop first
Fixed: Save settings correctly reloads channels along with Recorded TV and Scheduled
Fixed: Scheduled TV Series cancel would silently fail and show progress dots forever
Fixed: Re-activating should display properly now (rather than a blank screen sometimes)
Fixed: Re-activating doesn't require a server connect when you go back to main menu
Fixed: In some scenarios the token would be invalid requiring a full refresh to function again
Fixed: Recorded TV entries with out an Episode title should no longer have a blank line
Fixed: All Stream options are correctly hidden when a DRM item is displayed
Fixed: Original Air Date only displays in Episode details when then Episode date is different
Fixed: Search Results now show Channel Number, Call Sign and recording status
Fixed: When skipping in Landscape the orientation will not change to portrait when skipping
Fixed: Various display inconsistencies between portrait and landscape mode
Fixed: Shows with a first word of two or less letters might not show for streaming
Smart Potato for Windows Phone 7: http://www.ntworld.com
spokanedj
Hot Potato

Postby spokanedj » Wed May 04, 2011 3:01 am

For those still using the .98.10 stable version, unfortunately Smart Potato 1.8 will give an error when trying to start a stream with that version. We will be submitting an upgrade to Marketplace soon to work around this issue. Smart Potato 1.8 has been extensively tested against .98.25 and we recommend upgrading your Remote Potato server to .98.26 in order to resolve the streaming incompatability with .98.10 and Smart Potato 1.8.

You can download .98.26 from the following URL: http://www.fatattitude.com/software/sof ... aspx?id=12

Regards,

Dale
spokanedj
Hot Potato

Postby spokanedj » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:57 pm

Just a small update on Smart Potato:

Smart Potato 2 LIte is now available on Marketplace. This is the same version of Smart Potato paid, just ad supported for those people who prefer a free app over a trial.

In an odd occurence, the same code submitted for an Update to Smart Potato (paid) was rejected. I have already addressed the issue and re-submitted the Smart Potato Paid version update to Marketplace and hopefully it should be available shortly.
spokanedj
Hot Potato

Postby jagowar » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:21 pm

Just wondering if/when this app will be updated for mango multitasking and any new features added with all the new api's in mango.

Also would like to see the native transport controls used if mango now allows that (not sure if they allow the scrub bar access or not)
jagowar
New Potato

Postby spokanedj » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:26 am

jagowar wrote:Just wondering if/when this app will be updated for mango multitasking and any new features added with all the new api's in mango.

Also would like to see the native transport controls used if mango now allows that (not sure if they allow the scrub bar access or not)

The last non-Mango update of Smart Potato was released a couple days ago (annoucement to follow shortly). I will be submitting a Mango compiled update shortly that has support for fast app resume.

Then after that, will be a second mango update and probably include the following features:

• Pin (deep link) Episodes, Movies, (What else?)
  • Music support with background playing
  • DVD support (support VOB files with same base name as one file)
  • Better remote control (number pad support)

If you have additional features you would like to see, please feel free to let me know.
spokanedj
Hot Potato

Re: Smart Potato v1: Windows Phone 7 Client [Updated 10/16/2

Postby spokanedj » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:54 am

Smart Potato 2.0 is available now and information/annoucements/discussions please use the Smart Potato v2 thread.

Any questions or discussion about the pre v2 release should be continued here.
spokanedj
Hot Potato

Postby gerrymad » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:36 pm

I am having an issue with playing recorded videos. I can begin playing, but if I stop I get an exception error. This happens both when I try to immediately resume or if I leave and try to come back to it. The only way to clear this is to stop the remote potato server and delete the temporary wmv file which is created when video playback is started. I cannot delte this file without stopping the server. Once I delete the file I can play agian play the video.

My Media Server machine is Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.

Any suggestions?
gerrymad
Raw Potato

Postby spokanedj » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:18 pm

I believe this was reported a while back and the problem exists with the WMSP streaming engine, regardless whether its the built in Silverlight interface or a third party app like Smart Potato. I have seen this problem every once in a while on my systems, but not that often. Since the WMSP doesn't have a "stop" command, it basically waits for the client connection to timeout to close the streaming and clean up. My guess is that the timeout is not always reliable and for some reason the server thinks the client is still connected and doesn't clean up.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=808&p=3812

We are continuing to work closely to bring Silverlive to Smart Potato, which will switch the streaming to HTTP Live stream and offer a much better streaming experience.
spokanedj
Hot Potato

Previous

Return to Remote Potato for Windows Phone 7