Smart Potato v1: Windows Phone 7 Client [Updated 10/16/2011]

Discuss the Remote Potato clients available for Windows Phone 7
Forum rules
No spamming, flaming or excessive self promotion - you have been warned!

Smart Potato v1: Windows Phone 7 Client [Updated 10/16/2011]

Postby spokanedj » Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:32 am

Smart Potato 2.0 is available now and information/annoucements/discussions please use the Smart Potato v2 thread.

I originally developed a Windows Mobile 6 client for Remote Potato. I switched to Windows Phone 7 on release date and after a month of porting code and adding functionality, version 1 of Smart Potato for Windows Phone 7 is almost ready to be released.

Smart Potato is a client for Remote Potato which allows you to access Windows Media Center Recorded TV functions as well as remote streaming of Recorded TV. Smart Potato requires a Windows 7 computer with Media Center and Remote Potato installed. Additionally internet access is required for remote operations.

Smart Potato Current Version is 1.8 released on 4/29/11.

Features include:

Stream Recorded TV

■Separate settings for Wi-Fi and Cellular connections
■Remembers last view time stamp for resume
■Automatic full screen in Landscape mode
■Skip forward/back 30 seconds

Manage Recorded TV

■View By Title and Date
■View Scheduled Requests and Series Requests
■Display Episode information, thumbnails, and show summary

Search Guide

■Keyword search
■View Episode details and Record Once/Series of the episode

Channels

■View Channels based on Number, Call Sign and Media Center Favorites
■Jump to Guide directly from a channel

Guide

■View full day for 8 channels at a time
■Supports Portrait and full screen landscape modes
■View Episode details and Record Once/Series for the episode

Misc

■Remote Control Media Center
■Browse Pictures

Trial Mode Limitations

■Can Stream only the first 5 Minutes of a show
■Can not set a recording from guide/search
■Guide only shows current day

More information can be found at the NT World website:

http://www.ntworld.com

including more screenshots and a quick video I put together showing the streaming functionality. Also, there is a thread on the Green Button as well here: http://thegreenbutton.com/forums/t/96554.aspx

Image Image Image
Last edited by spokanedj on Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:54 am, edited 4 times in total.
Smart Potato for Windows Phone 7: http://www.ntworld.com
spokanedj
Hot Potato

Re: Smart Potato: Windows Phone 7 Client

Postby spokanedj » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:32 pm

Smart Potato is now available on Marketplace. Here is a deep link to it.

Give it a try and please let me know of any recommendations and comments you have.
spokanedj
Hot Potato

Postby bshaf » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:41 pm

First off, great app!! nice work!

I think i may have found a couple bugs (although they could just as easy be user errors).
- First of my channel favorites are updating. They don't align with the favorites i have selected in the app.
- Second, for some reason when im on wifi and i try to go into guide i get a network error. But if im using the cellular network i don't get an error.

Anyway, thats all for now. Again thanks for the app!
bshaf
Raw Potato

Postby spokanedj » Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:39 am

First of my channel favorites are updating. They don't align with the favorites i have selected in the app.

The Favorites is a full collective list of all channels of all favorites within Windows Media Center. Its not the same as the Favorites list from the Remote Potato Favorites list.

Second, for some reason when im on wifi and i try to go into guide i get a network error. But if im using the cellular network i don't get an error.

Try hitting the refresh button on the main page. The guide data is not cached and if a network connection isn't working, it will show an error whereas everything else will "seem" like its working. The refresh will show any connection issues to the server.
spokanedj
Hot Potato

Postby spokanedj » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:12 am

Smart Potato 1.4 was submitted to the Marketplace today and should be available soon. Its quite a large update and below is the change log:

V1.4 - Unreleased
----------------------------
Fixed: When Server connection is not available, the app will give the web error rather than "Error Parsing XML" for Scheduled TV Loading.
Fixed: Flicking left/right while media was not playing would cause a start of the video.
Fixed: After five tries of restarting from an Already Streaming situation, it would not reset the counter if you hit play again.
Fixed: Shows without a title or Description might not show up in the RecordedTV or Scheduled TV sections
Fixed: Guide black background not readable is phone theme changed to light
Fixed: Settings is now Multiple Pages and allows access to bottom pick list size/quality options.
Fixed: All Portrait screens show the system bar (clock).
Fixed: Ordering for name displays so "the xxx" is correctly sorted based on value after "the " and not "the".
Fixed: Guide scrolling now correctly smooth scrolls correctly.

Changed: Flicks to skip ff/rw ignored when media is not playing
Changed: Duration display will stay showing during a flick rather than toggling on/off.
Changed: Force Login/Settings load each time app starts. This can work around "Not found" error that requires settings save/reload.
Changed: Clicking on a Channel will bring up a per-day Channel Listing for the next 10 days in a panorama view
Changed: Flicks during streaming now are variable and change the ff/rew based on the flick force
Changed: Scheduled, Recording TV and Channels using Pivot controls rather than Panorama controls, since they are actually the same data
Changed: Play/Stop button alternates based on the state of the media
Changed: Aligned Naming Conventions of title, date, channel, number, etc to match the Media Center UI nomenclature.
Changed: Consist layout and color of Show/Title/Details information for Recorded and Scheduled TV.

Added: Long-Hold context Menu to allow Scheduling a recording from Search and Channel Guide Listings
Added: Ability to specify pre/post padding and new/new & rerun settings for a recording
Added: Ability to cancel single recordings and series from Scheduled/Series screen as as well as Detail Screen
Added: Progress bars on most pages when loading or performing actions.
Added: Guide has a jump to channel picklist to jump directly to a channel without having to scroll.
Added: Controls in Landscape mode and Duration value moved to left so visible with app bar showing
Added: Series Sort List for Recorded TV which only lists shows associated to a series
Added: Channel Logos are displayed in the new Channel Listings and Guide Listings.
Added: Ability to turn on/off zoom/pinch function for streaming.
Added: Ability to delete a recorded Episode via pop-up menu on Recorded TV listings.

Known: Record and Record Series buttons are grey when using the light theme
spokanedj
Hot Potato

Postby spokanedj » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:38 pm

NTWorld is proud to announce Smart Potato 1.5 is now available on Marketplace. v1.5 includes the significant updates of 1.4 plus a couple of updates that we felt were necessary to increase stability of v1.4. Existing customer will find an update notice on Marketplace for the new version or can alternately uninstall and re-install v1.5 from marketplace to workaround a potential Marketplace update problem that affects many app updates.

Additionally, we have unveiled a brand new web experience at NTWorld.com, including a new website based on Wordpress to provide a better user experience. Although this is still a work in progress, the new website allows for easier posting of content and users to comment on existing comments.

Below is the changes for Smart Potato 1.5. Please see the Smart Potato Home page for more information including updated screen shots.

V1.5 - 2/11/11
Fixed: After viewing the details of a Recorded TV or Scheduled TV item, SmartPotato would stop working
Fixed: Listing of TV shows within a day in the Recorded TV by date list was in Alphabetical not reverse Chronological
Fixed: Display during streaming would stay on after first touch of screen and not toggle off.
spokanedj
Hot Potato

Postby spokanedj » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:56 pm

Smart Potato 1.6 is now available. This release addresses several stability issues and add several feature requested. In additional to the release, we have also updated the Frequently Asked Questions section to reflect the current release. In addition, you can follow all the changes online in the new Changes section.

V1.6 - 3/9/2011
Changed: Recorded TV Details hides options during initial load
Changed: Removed Cancel options on Series Detail (use long-hold on Scheduled TV or Series list to cancel a series)
Changed: Better handling of situations where network is not available
Changed: Settings back button changed to a cancel button to adhere to WP7 guidelines of no back button
Changed: Guide starts at current hour for the current day rather than midnight.
Changed: Guide now shows Record Once and Record Series red circle(s) respectively for scheduled shows.
Changed: You can click anywhere in a guide listing to show details rather than just the text.
Changed: When using the cache, Scheduled TV Shows in the past are not displayed in list.
Changed: Using Windows Phone 7 Silverlight Toolkit Feb 2011 stable
Changed: Removed Record Series App Bar Button on Episode Detail screen, since both buttons bring up the record options screen that has the true once/series choice.

Added: Scheduled TV and Recorded TV have refresh buttonAdded: Guide shows are color coded for News, Movies, and Sports

Fixed: Channel Call Sign and Number is displayed in Scheduled TV Lists.
Fixed: Program Details screen always shows series record icon even if program was not being recorded
Fixed: Sometimes when scrolling the guide it will scroll and then show the details of the show where you touched to scroll

For those who use Smart Potato in trial mode, you may need to uninstall the app and the re-install the new version. There is a know limitation of Windows Phone 7 when trying to update an app in Trial mode that prevents the app from updating correctly. Also, if after updating the app will not start, you may need to uinstall/reinstall. We apolgize for any inconviences these steps may cause and as always, please post any problems you run into so that we can help you enjoy Smart Potato as much as we do!
spokanedj
Hot Potato

Re: Smart Potato: Windows Phone 7 Client [Update 3/10/11]

Postby Carlos » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:38 pm

Great to see this client being updated regularly. :)

Carlos

FAQ: How to post debug logs | How to clear your browser cache

If you've found Remote Potato useful, please consider buying me a pint. Much appreciated!
Carlos
Head Potato

Postby blueeyedbeast » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:02 pm

I have purchased the full version and updated my home workstation but I now receive the following when I try to view my system via my WP7 phone.

Failed: System.Exception:
AG_E_NOT_FOUND

I have had a few shows dispaly using the trial mode but now -- no luck. Where can I find some information on things to check to fix this issue?
blueeyedbeast
Raw Potato

Postby spokanedj » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:37 pm

blueeyedbeast wrote:I have purchased the full version and updated my home workstation but I now receive the following when I try to view my system via my WP7 phone.

Failed: System.Exception:
AG_E_NOT_FOUND

I have had a few shows dispaly using the trial mode but now -- no luck. Where can I find some information on things to check to fix this issue?

First, make sure you are running v1.7. If you have an earlier version and the update notice doesn't show up on Marketplace, uninstall the earlier version and the re-install 1.7 via Marketplace. It will now that you previously purchased the app and allow you to re-install it without paying again.

If that doesn't solve the issue, please give me a little more detail about what exactly you are doing when the error occurs (ie, trying to start a stream, starting up, in the guide, etc). 1.7 will typically trap any errors and give a pointer to what is causing the error. Additionally, if your RP server is available from the internet, PM me the ip, un and pw and I can connect and try and debug.

Sorry I didn't see your post until now.

Dale
spokanedj
Hot Potato

Next

Return to Remote Potato for Windows Phone 7