Carlos, Can You Help?

Discuss the Remote Potato clients available for Windows Phone 7
Forum rules
No spamming, flaming or excessive self promotion - you have been warned!

Carlos, Can You Help?

Postby Neil__C » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:31 pm

Hi,

I've tried all 3 WP7 apps now (Media Buddy, Smart Potato and HD EPG). In all cases, I have the same problem. Whenever I play one of my mp4s, it works well on first try, thereafter all the apps error out the next time I try to play that file. In each case, the cause appears to be the same: they leave a .wmv streaming file behind. The existence of this file seems to cause the subsequent errors.

I do not have this problem on my PC running RP from the browser. I've contacted a couple of the app makers but they can't suggest a solution. DO you have any ideas at all on what might be causing this?

Thanks in anticipation.
Neil__C
Potato

Re: Carlos, Can You Help?

Postby andreaseide » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:41 pm

There is a time out setting in the setting app on the server.
The file should be deleted automatically when that time is out.
Does the file go away if you wait a while?
--AndreasE--
Remote Potato Forum Moderator.

FAQ: How to post debug logs | How to clear your browser cache
andreaseide
Wise Potato

Postby Neil__C » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:23 pm

Hi Andreas,

No, it doesn't :( I do notice that if I try to delete the wmv file on my HTPC from my work PC (the video folder is shared on my LAN), it won't allow me and says it's in use. If I reboot the HTPC and try again immediately afterwards, I can delete the file. Almost as if it's some kind of permissions issue. Perhaps that locking is what's causing the apps to fail in their attempted deletion.

EDIT: Just to check, I logged onto the HTPC directly and tried to delete the wmv file. It would not allow it saying it was in use witht Remote Potato. It looks like if an app tries to stream an mp4, it allows it first time and creates a temporary wmv file. Presumably the app then tries to delete it after streaming but RP won't allow it as it thinks it's still in use. This locking continues until the HTPC is rebooted.

It surprises me that all 3 WP7 apps do it and no one else seems to have the problem and yet browser access doesn't give the problem.

Thanks again for the reply - hope there is a solution.

Regards
Neil__C
Potato

Postby alsoszaa » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:10 am

I have the same issue. The WMV file does not dissapear after a while for me. I have to do exactly what Neil does to remove the file. I also get "ErrorExceptionOccurred" when I try to stream any content. Once I reset the services, delete the wmv, I can stream again. I am using Windows Media Center with Remote Potato (version 1.0.6.0) and the Media Buddy App (Version 2.0). I would also love to see a fix for this.
alsoszaa
Raw Potato

Postby andreaseide » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:45 pm

Hi.
Remote media center for Android uses HTTP-streaming where we need to send keep-alives to keep the stream running.
We guess that wp7 use silverlive streaming, and therefore is built differently.
Maybe carlos need to check the silverlive streaming, or the programmers of wp7 apps need to look at HTTP-streaming?
--AndreasE--
Remote Potato Forum Moderator.

FAQ: How to post debug logs | How to clear your browser cache
andreaseide
Wise Potato

Postby Neil__C » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:33 pm

Thanks Andreas,

Is Carlos still about? Glad to hear it's not just me though ;)

Regards
Neil__C
Potato

Postby dazzyp » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:35 pm

I have exactly the same problem with all three WP7 apps, with a high rate of ErrorExceptions Occurred, and temporary video conversion files left behind and not deleted after each instance. I am relieved to see someone else have this problem!
dazzyp
Raw Potato

Return to Remote Potato for Windows Phone 7