Smart Potato v2.5 For Windows Phone 7 (Updates 1/24/2012)

Discuss the Remote Potato clients available for Windows Phone 7
Forum rules
No spamming, flaming or excessive self promotion - you have been warned!

Smart Potato v2.5 For Windows Phone 7 (Updates 1/24/2012)

Postby spokanedj » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:50 am

Smart Potato is a Windows Phone 7 client for Remote Potato that allows you to view videos and pictures, send remote control commands, and manage Windows Media Center functions (including remote viewing/streaming of Recorded TV).

Smart Potato requires a Windows XP or higher computer with Remote Potato installed. Additionally internet access is required for remote operations. For Remote Media Center support, the Remote Potato host computer must be running Windows 7 with Media Center.

Smart Potato is available for purchase for USD $2.49. A fully functional no-limits and no-expiration trial is available and ad supported.

Read Reviews and Blogs of Smart Potato:
•Mobility Digest Review
•AppFuze Review
•Network Monitor Troubleshooting Smart Potato Connectivity by Paul Long

Support Resources:
•Frequently Asked Questions
•On-line discussion on The Green Button
•Remote Potato Support Forums

Features include:
  • Windows Phone 7 Metro User Interface
    • Panoramic Main Screen
    • Recent Media List for quick resume and last position save
    • Multiple Remote Potato server defintions
    • Send Remote Control Commands from phone
    • List Picker with quick jump list for most lists
  • Stream Recorded TV
    • Seperate settings for Wi-Fi and Cellular connections
    • Remembers last view time stamp for resume
    • Automatic full screen in Landscape mode
    • Skip forward/back 30 seconds
  • Recorded TV
    • View By Title and Date
    • View Scheduled Requests and Series Requests
    • Display thumbnails for Recorded TV show
  • Search Guide
    • Easy keyword search
    • View details and Record Once/Series of results
  • Channels
    • View Channels based on Number, Call Sign and Favorites
    • Jump to Guide directly for a channel
    • Search for series premiers on selected channels
  • Guide
    • View full day for 8 channels at a time
    • Supprots Portrait and full screen landscape modes
    • View details and Record Once/Series for an episode
  • TVDB Support
    • Display Banners in Episode Details, Scheduled Series and more
    • View Series Summary, Episode list and more (click on Title)
    • Options to disable TVDB Banners
  • Wake On LAN/WAN support
    • Auto turn on computer from internet or LAN

Below are screenshots from the latest client:

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Image Image Image
Last edited by spokanedj on Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Smart Potato for Windows Phone 7: http://www.ntworld.com
spokanedj
Hot Potato

Re: Smart Potato v2 Client For Windows Phone 7

Postby jagowar » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:13 pm

Suggestions (from the old thread)...

Never was a fan of the start screen... make the background set to match the phone (black or white) and make the icons more metro looking. In general it doesn't seem to fit the metro theme very well. Media buddy seems to feel more metro inspired but its not perfect either and seems to not be getting updates anymore.
Deep linking (don't think people want to go to a direct episode but I would love a way to deep link straight to the recorded tv section sorted by date.... for example)
Scrub bar controls.... would be far easier getting around than having to select before starting the stream. don't find in general the ff/rw and 30 sec skip controls do not work very well. netflix is the best implementation of how to do that on a mobile device.... but I realize thats probably not possible w/o remote potato doing the thumbnail images.
jagowar
New Potato

Postby spokanedj » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:46 pm

jagowar wrote:Never was a fan of the start screen... make the background set to match the phone (black or white) and make the icons more metro looking. In general it doesn't seem to fit the metro theme very well. Media buddy seems to feel more metro inspired but its not perfect either and seems to not be getting updates anymore.

I never have been the Graphic artists type. If anyone has a set of Metro Icons for the start screen options, please feel free to pass them on. I did start making some Icons for my new Talk2Me app, so maybe I'll give a whirl at making some for Smart Potato now that I understand better how to make them.

Deep linking (don't think people want to go to a direct episode but I would love a way to deep link straight to the recorded tv section sorted by date.... for example)

I was thinking about allowing deep linking to the front 8 items, Recent, and to individual Servers (would mainly just set the startup server). Any other requests for deep links? I'm thinking maybe a resume last played would be useful for when you watch parts of a show or movie and want to quickly resume it?

Scrub bar controls.... would be far easier getting around than having to select before starting the stream. don't find in general the ff/rw and 30 sec skip controls do not work very well. netflix is the best implementation of how to do that on a mobile device.... but I realize thats probably not possible w/o remote potato doing the thumbnail images.

Yeah, the current limitation of a scrub bar are limits of Remote Potato. Hopefully if we can get SiverLiver running on WP7, it will help this situtation and result in a much better streaming experience.
spokanedj
Hot Potato

Postby Helgor » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:33 pm

Hi,

since some days i cant open smart potato anymore. the trial and the paid version.
i can see the splashscreen and after this it shows this message:

"we seems to have lost our potato!
null reference exception"

i tryed to reinstall it, but it doesnt change.

any ideas?
Helgor
Hot Potato

Postby spokanedj » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:09 am

since some days i cant open smart potato anymore. the trial and the paid version.
i can see the splashscreen and after this it shows this message:

"we seems to have lost our potato!
null reference exception"

i tryed to reinstall it, but it doesnt change.

Smart Potato 2.5 was released recently. If after updating to that version, the problem still persists, please send me your connection information to smartpotato@ntworld.com and I will take a look at it. If you uninstalled the app and it is still crashing, it most likely has something to do with the data.

Dale
spokanedj
Hot Potato

Postby spokanedj » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:48 am

Smart Potato v2.5 is now available on the Windows Phone 7 Marketplace.

• Updated initial Splashscreen
  • Fixed wrapping on Guide date for two digit months
  • Scrolling in the guide should no longer cause inadvertent clicks
  • The guide now initially shows favorites only
  • Fixed display where some shows weree either not found or show no data when selected from the guide
  • Main Screen is now more "Metro Style"
  • Swiping up or down in the guide will now move up or down, respectively.
  • Other Showings Panorama Item when viewing an item from the guide

Although the change list isn't very big, a lot of work has ben put into updating parts of the app to make everything more consistent. Don't forget about the premier feature stashed away in the channels (its been there since 2.3) where you can quickly search for series premiers.

Additionally, I wanted to talk a little bit about Silverlive and MP4 streaming. I have been working quite a bit trying to get Silverlive support for Smart Potato. Carl has been extremely generous and helpful to the cause. Currently, Silverlive works for 2nd Generation Windows Phone (tested a Titan and Samsung Focus S), but is not working reliably on 1st gen Mango updated phones (tested on a Samsung Focus, HTC Surround and LG Quantum). On 2nd generation devices, I can achieve a fairly reliable stream, but have not gotten time shifting to work. I had everything ready to beta in 2.5, but decided to hold off one more release until I can get time shifting to work. I am continuing to try and make progress on this and hopefully can provide an update allowing for more efficient streaming and MP4 video support.

If you haven't had the chance to play around with streaming custom definitions, I would recommend giving it a try. Rather than just trying High and Ultra High (the later which my Media Center doesn't like very well), try a custom profile. For example, I like to use a 200000 bitrate and Size 75% and it works excellent for both wi-fi and 3G. Also, just highed the bitrate will not necessarily continue to make the picture better, as at 25% size, there is a limit to the bitrate that size will use. So you need to use a higher size along with a higher bitrate to make a difference.

Since several people asked for a more Metro style homepage, I went ahead and rebuilt two of the panorama screens to hopefully be me inline with the Windows Phone 7 style. Please let me know if you like these better and any other suggestions.

Image Image Image Image
spokanedj
Hot Potato

Return to Remote Potato for Windows Phone 7