Remote Media Center - Pictures Resolution

Discuss the Remote Potato clients available for the Android mobile OS
Forum rules
No spamming flaming etc

Remote Media Center - Pictures Resolution

Postby megamax » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:41 pm

Hi All,

I have Remote Media Center configured on my Nexus One, and it is a great application that I use almost daily!

Something that changed recently, that is somehow a bit more work now, is how the pictures get displayed. A recent change in the app made the pictures display in low resolution by default, and letting you hit the "Hi-Res" button, to bring a larger resolution image.

I know this is a great thing, because sometimes we don't have a good connection speed and the pictures can take several seconds to load.

However, I have found that in most cases, after this change, I have had to hit the button every single time, in order to get the hi resolution image. It would be really good if a setting in the app could let you decide if you want to download the full image each time by default, or if you want to get the low resolution images first and then optionally click on the button if desired.

On the other hand, I am not sure if this is coming and I am just too anxious, but the images displayed can't be zoomed (neither with any screen controls or with the "pinch" functionality usually found on image applications), so when using my phone, even the hi resolution image looks good, it would be great if you could zoom it in/out (Like the Remote Potato HD for iPad).

As a last question... when the app displays an image (whether low or high res), is that being downloaded (or cached) somewhere in the device's memory or sd card? What I mean is, that after closing the app, will the opened images be somewhere else in the device? I hope not.. I like the idea of displaying it, having it in memory, and as soon as you move to the next image, or switch to another module or app, then image is completely gone from the device.

Thanks,

Carlos
megamax
Potato

Re: Remote Media Center - Pictures Resolution

Postby piet5211 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:59 am

megamax wrote:Hi All,
It would be really good if a setting in the app could let you decide if you want to download the full image each time by default, or if you want to get the low resolution images first and then optionally click on the button if desired.

when using my phone, even the hi resolution image looks good, it would be great if you could zoom it in/out (Like the Remote Potato HD for iPad).

As a last question... when the app displays an image (whether low or high res), is that being downloaded (or cached) somewhere in the device's memory or sd card? What I mean is, that after closing the app, will the opened images be somewhere else in the device?

Hi Carlos,

Thanks for using Remote Media Center.
Pictures are loaded into memory, not stored onto flash. Loading too many hires pictures currently leads to out of memory problems. That's one of the reasons why I opted for the hires button.
Zooming in/out would be a nice feature to add, it is on the to do list.
It is great when you use Remote Media Center for android, see frequently asked questions, any donations would be appreciated.
piet5211
Top Potato

Re: Remote Media Center - Pictures Resolution

Postby megamax » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:26 pm

I do agree on what you are saying..you can't load all full res images at once (in a limited resources device like a phone).. I think the low res image concept is great... since it lets you glance through your library fast, however you could also have an option under settings that would allow the user to select if he wants to load the currently displayed image (and only the current one), let's say 1 sec or 1.5 secs AFTER the low res image is displayed.. I think that in less than 2 seconds, you can tell if you want to see that picture or want to go to the next one.. If you want the current one, you just wait 1 sec and it will load in hi res. This is just a way to avoid the "hi-res" button.
megamax
Potato

Return to Remote Potato for Android