Android app out of beta and available on the market

Discuss the Remote Potato clients available for the Android mobile OS
Forum rules
No spamming flaming etc

Android app out of beta and available on the market

Postby piet5211 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:34 pm

The android app, now called "remote media center", is available on the market.
It features:

Browse and search the EPG Grid
Browse and Schedule recordings
Browse channels and programs
Watch videos
Watch recorded tv
Listen to music
Browse pictures
Remote control

Best of all, it is free!

See in action on a smartphone (new UI):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ao2VUN4fcAs&context=C3e6534cADOEgsToPDskIOE7Tn2B44i3crwvQu8bya

See in action on a tablet (old UI):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAlo_-FqI7k&context=C38eb3cbADOEgsToPDskLmvV2Js4dLwl9lEQWjFkos

Image Image
ImageImage

Honeycomb:
Last edited by piet5211 on Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:01 pm, edited 5 times in total.
It is great when you use Remote Media Center for android, see frequently asked questions, any donations would be appreciated.
piet5211
Top Potato

Re: Android app out of beta and available on the market

Postby PeeWee » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:31 pm

I bet this is the shortest TTM (TimeToMarket) ever for any Android app :D

Congratulations Piet!
PeeWee
Wise Potato

Postby Carlos » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:54 pm

Congratulations! Best of luck with it :D

Carlos

FAQ: How to post debug logs | How to clear your browser cache

If you've found Remote Potato useful, please consider buying me a pint. Much appreciated!
Carlos
Head Potato

Postby docprego » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:33 pm

Wow that was amazingly fast out of beta! I hope your amazing updates continue now that it's on the market. Congrats.
docprego
Hot Potato

Postby piet5211 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:05 pm

For the beta testers only: Please uninstall the beta application first before installing the app from the market otherwise you get an error.
It is great when you use Remote Media Center for android, see frequently asked questions, any donations would be appreciated.
piet5211
Top Potato

Postby docprego » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:25 am

Ok I'll start the feedback on the market version:

1. The background is still present when clicking on some of the home screen buttons. I noted it specifically on:

Watch Videos
Listen to Music
Search EPG

2. I still would suggest that seeing black slivers between the main screen buttons interrupts the look of the app. IMO it would be better with no space between the buttons and possibly a bolder font on the buttons. On my EVO I have to scroll down a touch to see Wake On Lan, if the space between the buttons were eliminated scrolling would not be necessary.

3. MINOR: On the Wake on Lan button, the word on is capitalized. Shouldn't it be lower case?

4. I can't get Wake on Lan to work. I put in the package name and I get this error every time: "WOL program not found, please install one from market and put in WOL settings.". I am using Wake On Lan, this one: http://www.androlib.com/android.applica ... n-qCt.aspx
docprego
Hot Potato

Postby piet5211 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:01 am

docprego wrote:Ok I'll start the feedback on the market version:

1. The background is still present when clicking on some of the home screen buttons. I noted it specifically on:

Watch Videos
Listen to Music
Search EPG

2. I still would suggest that seeing black slivers between the main screen buttons interrupts the look of the app. IMO it would be better with no space between the buttons and possibly a bolder font on the buttons. On my EVO I have to scroll down a touch to see Wake On Lan, if the space between the buttons were eliminated scrolling would not be necessary.

3. MINOR: On the Wake on Lan button, the word on is capitalized. Shouldn't it be lower case?

4. I can't get Wake on Lan to work. I put in the package name and I get this error every time: "WOL program not found, please install one from market and put in WOL settings.". I am using Wake On Lan, this one: http://www.androlib.com/android.applica ... n-qCt.aspx

1. Ok, the backgrounds have been dropped in a next release.

2. I just removed the text "Press menu for settings", now all buttons fit on the screen on my Nexus One. The black space in between is standard spacing for buttons in android.

3. Adapted in next version.

4.For your specific WoL program you need:
package name: net.mafro.android.wakeonlan
class: WakeOnLan
(case sensitive)
piet5211
Top Potato

Postby docprego » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:52 pm

piet5211 wrote:
docprego wrote:Ok I'll start the feedback on the market version:

Watch Videos
Listen to Music
Search EPG

1. Ok, the backgrounds have been dropped in a next release.

2. I just removed the text "Press menu for settings", now all buttons fit on the screen on my Nexus One. The black space in between is standard spacing for buttons in android.

3. Adapted in next version.

4.For your specific WoL program you need:
package name: net.mafro.android.wakeonlan
class: WakeOnLan
(case sensitive)

First of all the Wake on Lan settings worked, thank you.

Second the app is really starting to look sleek now!

I'm going to continue offering my feedback, regardless of how minor. I hope you continue to welcome this and that it is not perceived as nitpicking, which it definitely is not!

1. The Listen to Music screen still has the background.

2. Now everything fits on the home screen but there is still the tiniest hint of scrolling possible. The buttons don't move much up and down but every time I touch the main screen a scroll bar appears on the far right indicating that the OS thinks the screen is scrollable. Is there a way to eliminate this so that the home screen buttons always remain completely stationary and the scroll bar does not appear?

3. When browsing scheduled recordings the times are still shown in a 24 hour format. I noticed you changed this in the EPG to 12 hour, could you make the scheduled recordings match?

4. In the list of recorded programs please add the date they were recorded next to or underneath the title.

5. The EPG is not always refreshing as I scroll down to channels. It works sometimes, other times not.

6. Program listings in the EPG look like this now: 11:00 AM Racing for Time-1:00PM 01/29/2011. Would it be possible to rearrange this data to look like this>

Racing for Time
11:00 AM-1:00 PM

On some programs the date is listed and others not, I think dropping it altogether and moving the time beneath the title of the program would be much easier to look at and mirror the EPG in Remote Potato much more closely.

7. This one is really a matter of opinion: In the EPG I am not a fan of the bubble look, could the program entries be in rectangular boxes? Again this would mirror the Remote Potato EPG much more closely.

8. In the EPG when you scroll all the way to the left it shows the program that started longest ago but is still running. Instead of that have a dotted line that extends down through the current time and the EPG starts at the dotted line. The oldest program that can now be scrolled all the way left to see will no longer have that behavior. Instead it will be like all the other programs in the EPG and simply show part of it's button that it is in progress. That would make the EPG easier to navigate and similar to the way Remote Potato handles this.

9. Offer a key for the color coding in the EPG. Maybe incorporate this into a help file accessed via the menu key on the EPG screen.

10. On the Search EPG results screen could you add in headings to to divide the results by date? The same as what you did with the scheduled recordings screen would be ideal.

11. Browse channels->larger logos

12. Schedule a manual recording->Expand buttons to match the rest of the UI.

13. Change Reconnect to server to something like "Server Options" and move "Wake on Lan" and "Reconnect to Server" inside of this button. That would free up a button that you could make "Recorded Programs". I think "Recorded Programs" and "Watch VIdeos" should have their own buttons. It's a bit confusing to look for your recorded TV programs inside a button titled "Watch VIdeos". Besides "Recorded Programs" is something I access many times each time I use the app, "Reconnect to Server" and "Wake on Lan" possibly once and most times not at all.

I am LOVING your app and that is why I am offering so much constructive criticism. I hope this app is very successful for you and it is already something I use constantly.
docprego
Hot Potato

Postby piet5211 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:01 pm

docprego wrote:I'm going to continue offering my feedback, regardless of how minor. I hope you continue to welcome this and that it is not perceived as nitpicking, which it definitely is not!

1. The Listen to Music screen still has the background.

2. Now everything fits on the home screen but there is still the tiniest hint of scrolling possible. The buttons don't move much up and down but every time I touch the main screen a scroll bar appears on the far right indicating that the OS thinks the screen is scrollable. Is there a way to eliminate this so that the home screen buttons always remain completely stationary and the scroll bar does not appear?

3. When browsing schedules recordings the times are still shown in a 24 hour format. I noticed you changed this in the EPG to 12 hour, could you make the scheduled recordings match?

4. In the list of recorded programs please add the date they were recorded nest to or underneath the title.

5. The EPG is not always refreshing as I scroll down to channels. It works sometimes, other times not.

6. Program listings in the EPG look like this now: 11:00 AM Racing for Time-1:00PM 01/29/2011. Would it be possible to rearrange this data to look like this>

Racing for Time
11:00 AM-1:00 PM

On some programs the date is listed and others not, I think dropping it altogether and moving the time beneath the title of the program would be much easier to look at and mirror the EPG in Remote Potato much more closely.

7. This one is really a matter of opinion: In the EPG I am not a fan of the bubble look, could the program entries be in rectangular boxes? Again this would mirror the Remote Potato EPG much more closely.

8. In the EPG when you scroll all the way to the left it shows the program that started longest ago but is still running. Instead of that have a dotted line that extends down through the current time and the EPG starts at the dotted line. The oldest program that can now be scrolled all the way left to see will no longer have that behavior. Instead it will be like all the other programs in the EPG and simply show part of it's button that it is in progress. That would make the EPG easier to navigate.

9. Offer a key for the color coding in the EPG. Maybe incorporate this into a help file accessed via the menu key on the EPG screen.

10. On the Search EPG results screen could you add in headings to to divide the results by date? The same as what you did with the scheduled recordings screen would be ideal.

11. Browse channels->larger logos

12. Schedule a manual recording->Expand buttons to match the rest of the UI.

13. Change Reconnect to server to something like "Server Options" and move "Wake on Lan" and "Reconnect to Server" inside of this button. That would free up a button that you could make "Recorded Programs". I think "Recorded Programs" and "Watch VIdeos" should have their own buttons. It's a bit confusing to look for your recorded TV programs inside a button titled "Watch VIdeos". Besides "Recorded Programs" is something I access many times each time I use the app, "Reconnect to Server" and "Wake on Lan" possibly once and most times not at all.

I am LOVING your app and that is why I am offering so much constructive criticism. I hope this app is very successful for you and it is already something I use constantly.

No problem, I like people to give their opinion on the app, that way I can make it better.

1. Background now is removed.
2. On my Nexus One there is no scroll bar. On my wife's HTC Hero there is constantly a scrollbar. On different machines it is different.
3. Yep, scheduled recordings will also follow locale in the next version.
4. Date under recorded programs has been added in next release.
5. It gets EPG info of the channels where you stopped scrolling (if you scrolled the number of channels as set in the settings). So it doesn't get the info for the channels in between where you started scrolling and stopped. You can also play around with channels per request in settings.
6. I will look into it. Date should be on it as well. There is not an easy way to show it elsewhere.
8. If I understand you correctly you want a line down indicating the current time?
9. Will look into it.
10. Will look into it.
11. In next version.
12. See next version. I am not sure whether it is prettier now. Maybe I will have to group buttons apart from results.
13. Thanks. Will look into it. For now I changed the name of "watch videos" to "watch videos or recorded programs".
piet5211
Top Potato

Postby kwajjeff » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:52 pm

First, my congratulations and thanks on making this fine app available.

Streaming works well for me, tested on on both my home wireless network and some hotspots around town, did a small test on 3G and that seemed ok also. All I could ask is for some control to start a program where you left off similar to Remote Potato, I assume with streaming that fast forward/rewind is technically out of the question.

One problem I did notice is that my music folder won't load, it is 185 GB which seems to be the problem. I did a test with WMC pointed at a smaller 6 GB folder and it was fine.

HTC Desire debranded, stock HTC Froyo 2.2
kwajjeff
Raw Potato

Next

Return to Remote Potato for Android