Android app available for beta testing

Discuss the Remote Potato clients available for the Android mobile OS
Forum rules
No spamming flaming etc

Android app available for beta testing

Postby piet5211 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:45 pm

For those who want to test my android remote potato client app please PM me with your email address.
Currently it supports

- Recorded TV and movie streaming
- Record/cancel shows
- Search the EPG
- Listen to music
- Browse channels
- Browse EPG grid

Vplayer (with Neon support) is needed for streaming. This is a paid application from the market, which you can use for a couple of days for free.

If you have vplayer general (for low end devices) please let me know, as it might work, but I have to make some modifications.

Image Image
ImageImage
Last edited by piet5211 on Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It is great when you use Remote Media Center for android, see frequently asked questions, any donations would be appreciated.
piet5211
Top Potato

Re: Android app available for beta testing

Postby PeeWee » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:30 am

Hi Piet,

This is a very good first effort, functional on the first go.

Some first impressions:
- the EPG grid is functional, and swiping up and down and left and right works smoothly
- it doesn't show scheduled recordings (with a red dot) (yet)
- loading the EPG grid through 2G is very slow. After about 15 seconds, the first channel names show up and the pop-up Loading TV programs starts spinning.
It takes another 140 seconds for the grid to show. Most of this time, the up/down indicator for 2G Traffic is lit, so i think quite some data is downloaded. It seems to download 10 channels for 24 hours, not that much compared to the HTML or Silverlight interface.
- changing the orientation to landscape is slow. Sometimes all 140 seconds are needed again, but also at one time time it was 10 seconds
- browsing by channel works faster (altough still takes 20-some seconds on 2G), but the channel list font is rather tiny, making it difficult to tick the right channel. Also the appearance is quite plain, it would be visually more appealing if the channels are presented as buttons or an Android list (like " Settings" in Android) with channel logo's in front.

I think the speed needs attention (i.e. local caching of data, or compressing in some way), plus the appearance of the channel list.

And a feature request: i start my htpc through a WOL request through my webserver. It would be great if there is a customizable button in the main screen, to which i can specify the action needed in the settings (i could put in the URL to my WOL Link and start the HTPC from within the Android App.)

I'm delighted to see an Android app for Remote Potato, keep up the good work!

Samsung Galaxy S i9000
PeeWee
Wise Potato

Postby andreaseide » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:57 pm

I have to agree on peewee there.
Great work for a first effort .
Streaming works great as well.
Only had one problem with a homemade wmv file.

I would like to see some buttons to select days both in epg-grid and channel view.
And I'd like a possibility to set a bigger font.

And a possibility to set or select favorite channels.
--AndreasE--
Remote Potato Forum Moderator.

FAQ: How to post debug logs | How to clear your browser cache
andreaseide
Wise Potato

Postby notsofastmatey » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:34 pm

I'm really impressed. This worked straight away (well - a quick Force Close to begin with but rock solid since) and seems functional. I'd agree that it is very slow at present, but hopefully that can be addressed. I'd note also that I don't seem to be able to record a series - the button remains greyed out.

I haven't tried streaming yet but that is VERY temperamental on my particular setup using the HTML or Silverlight interfaces on a PC, so I'm not optimistic about Android.

Great start!

Simon
notsofastmatey
New Potato

Postby notsofastmatey » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:50 pm

Wow - it is streaming happily over 3G!!!!!!!!!!! It streams recorded TV, videos and music brilliantly with the VPlayer trial. That made me retry streaming on my PC (at work) and I still can't stream in HTML or Silverlight. Weird.

I'm a tiny bit excited.
notsofastmatey
New Potato

Postby Carlos » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:21 pm

notsofastmatey wrote:That made me retry streaming on my PC (at work) and I still can't stream in HTML or Silverlight. Weird.

Different streaming backend I suspect. If this app is using HTTP Live streaming, HTML/Silverlight use MS-WSP.

FAQ: How to post debug logs | How to clear your browser cache

If you've found Remote Potato useful, please consider buying me a pint. Much appreciated!
Carlos
Head Potato

Postby piet5211 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:34 pm

Thanks all for the supportive words. Now to the questions

PeeWee wrote:- it doesn't show scheduled recordings (with a red dot) (yet)

I will look into that.
PeeWee wrote:- loading the EPG grid through 2G is very slow. After about 15 seconds, the first channel names show up and the pop-up Loading TV programs starts spinning.
It takes another 140 seconds for the grid to show. Most of this time, the up/down indicator for 2G Traffic is lit, so i think quite some data is downloaded. It seems to download 10 channels for 24 hours, not that much compared to the HTML or Silverlight interface.

The app currently does not use zipped HTTP transfers. Maybe that might help a bit in performance.
PeeWee wrote:- changing the orientation to landscape is slow. Sometimes all 140 seconds are needed again, but also at one time time it was 10 seconds

I have to look into why reorientation of the screen requires new data transfer.
PeeWee wrote:- browsing by channel works faster (altough still takes 20-some seconds on 2G), but the channel list font is rather tiny, making it difficult to tick the right channel. Also the appearance is quite plain, it would be visually more appealing if the channels are presented as buttons or an Android list (like " Settings" in Android) with channel logo's in front.

The new version has larger characters.
Will look into channel logos.
PeeWee wrote:And a feature request: i start my htpc through a WOL request through my webserver. It would be great if there is a customizable button in the main screen, to which i can specify the action needed in the settings (i could put in the URL to my WOL Link and start the HTPC from within the Android App.)

I personally do not use WOL. Is this just an ordinary get request?

andreaseide wrote:I would like to see some buttons to select days both in epg-grid and channel view.
And a possibility to set or select favorite channels.

I will try to add date selection in epg and channel view.
Don't know about favorites, though. Aren't these set in the server?
notsofastmatey wrote:I'd agree that it is very slow at present, but hopefully that can be addressed. I'd note also that I don't seem to be able to record a series - the button remains greyed out.

I will look into performance if possible.
Series recording is enabled in the new version.
It is great when you use Remote Media Center for android, see frequently asked questions, any donations would be appreciated.
piet5211
Top Potato

Postby notsofastmatey » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:41 pm

At the risk of going off topic, but to reply to Carlos' point, I've tonight tried streaming on the server itself (great in both HTML and Silverlight) and on a Win XP laptop at home on the LAN (streams great in Silverlight, just a green screen with audio in HTML). I uninstalled all the Shark codecs and the X64 settings app last week to try to sort streaming (even though audio sync is now b*ggered on the telly) so that's one variable down. I can't explain the HTML problem at home but I suspect our firewall/rubbish bandwidth at work may be the cause of neither SL or HTML working there; I'll have to try from a mate's house.

Back on topic, I've just installed the latest version of the Android app and can confirm series recording is working! Talk about rapid application development...

Final point/question (and this may belong elsewhere on the forums too (sorry): I can only connect with my phone if I use 3G rather than the home wifi because I entered the external dyndns url in the settings, and that won't work inside my LAN (when I'm at home I use the media center private IP of 192.168.0.9). Is there something I'm missing in terms of setting up my network here or would an app need two "profiles" to work with this setup - one for "at home" and one for "out and about"? That's how I use Torrent-Fu on my phone, for example.

Simon
notsofastmatey
New Potato

Postby PeeWee » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:13 pm

piet5211 wrote:Thanks all for the supportive words. Now to the questions

PeeWee wrote:And a feature request: i start my htpc through a WOL request through my webserver. It would be great if there is a customizable button in the main screen, to which i can specify the action needed in the settings (i could put in the URL to my WOL Link and start the HTPC from within the Android App.)

I personally do not use WOL. Is this just an ordinary get request?

Much simpler, if there would be a button to which i can assign the custom command "https://62.45.xx.xx/wol/woli.asp" that would be fine. But this may be a rather specific request, only do it if it's usefull for a wider audience.
PeeWee
Wise Potato

Postby matthellstrom » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:37 am

I'd like to beta test this app, but I can't figure out how to pm you me email address!
matthellstrom
Raw Potato

Next

Return to Remote Potato for Android