Any RMC and HTC Thunderbolt users?

Discuss the Remote Potato clients available for the Android mobile OS
Forum rules
No spamming flaming etc

Any RMC and HTC Thunderbolt users?

Postby wreels » Mon May 21, 2012 2:04 am

Hello all... To any HTC Thunderbolt and RMC users... A few days ago Verizon pushed the latest ROM for to my HTC Thunderbolt. Since then, I haven't been able to stream any of my Media Center recorded tv. Before the update, when I clicked on 'confirm selection' button to watch a show, it would popup with a list of my video players. I used to have the option to choose vplayer or moboplayer. It doesn't do that anymore; since the update. It just gives me a message saying 'Sorry, this video cannot be played'. I tried doing a factory reset and I still have the same issue. Are there any other TBolt users out there with the latest ROM from Verizon and RMC? If so, please let me know if you're having the same problem. I'm at my wits end... It seems that HTC and Verizon has screwed up my phone with the latest update but I can't prove it without someone else with a Tbolt and RMC getting the same issue. Thanks for any help...

God bless,

Warren

My Tbolt us running Gingerbread 2.3.4
wreels
Raw Potato

Re: Any RMC and HTC Thunderbolt users?

Postby PeeWee » Mon May 21, 2012 1:15 pm

This seems like a generic Android issue to me, so lets see if i can help. It seems that your Android device defaults to the built-in videoplayer, instead of showing a list of options.

First, i presume you have reinstalled Vplayer or Moboplayer after the factory reset.
Second, try resetting the default videoplayer. I have to guide you by memory (i'm on Android 4.0.4 on my Galaxy S):
- Menu button
- Settings
- Apps/Applications
- Search Remote Mediacenter in the list and click it
- click "erase settings" (or "erase data", i don't know what its called exactly)
- hit the back key, and do the same for the built in videoplayer (presumably called "Mediaplayer")

Good luck.
PeeWee
Wise Potato

Postby wreels » Mon May 21, 2012 1:40 pm

PeeWee wrote:This seems like a generic Android issue to me, so lets see if i can help. It seems that your Android device defaults to the built-in videoplayer, instead of showing a list of options.

First, i presume you have reinstalled Vplayer or Moboplayer after the factory reset.
Second, try resetting the default videoplayer. I have to guide you by memory (i'm on Android 4.0.4 on my Galaxy S):
- Menu button
- Settings
- Apps/Applications
- Search Remote Mediacenter in the list and click it
- click "erase settings" (or "erase data", i don't know what its called exactly)
- hit the back key, and do the same for the built in videoplayer (presumably called "Mediaplayer")

Good luck.

Thanks for the reply PeeWee...

Yes, I did reinstall vplayer and moboplayer. All the 'clear data' settings does in RMC is remove my server setup profiles. I cleared the data in RMC before I did the factory reset and it didn't make a difference. The 'clear cache' and 'clear defaults' buttons were both grayed before and after the reset so I couldn't do anything with them. I cleard the defaults for the built in video player, 'Streaming Media Player'. Tried again after that and it I still doesn't work. Anymore ideas?

Thanks again...

UPDATE: I also noticed just now that before the Verizon update, when I surffed the web and clicked on a youtube link, I would get a popup with an option to play the video through the installed youtube app or play it through the internet. Just like with the RMC issue, I no long get that option. I defaults to using the internet page. HTC/Verizon has really screwed something up.
wreels
Raw Potato

Postby PeeWee » Tue May 22, 2012 12:16 pm

A long shot: after reading around it seems that when using the Astro Filemanager, and long clicking a video file, the list of installed videoplayers pops up. Maybe it's possible to clear the default mediaplayer that way.. It seems the Verzion update mandates the built-in video player to be the default (hence a hard reset does not work).

Also, on Droid forums i found:
However I can tell you how to choose a default video player,
select a video on your SD by using image gallery and clicking on video and it
should give you an option to choose which player you want to use as the default video player if you have any other 3rd party video players installed

If all else fails, installing a custom ROM will do the trick http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?s=049db4c08dfbbc44121a4e0f02fd8596&f=943
PeeWee
Wise Potato

Postby wreels » Wed May 23, 2012 4:16 am

PeeWee wrote:A long shot: after reading around it seems that when using the Astro Filemanager, and long clicking a video file, the list of installed videoplayers pops up. Maybe it's possible to clear the default mediaplayer that way.. It seems the Verzion update mandates the built-in video player to be the default (hence a hard reset does not work).

Also, on Droid forums i found:
However I can tell you how to choose a default video player,
select a video on your SD by using image gallery and clicking on video and it
should give you an option to choose which player you want to use as the default video player if you have any other 3rd party video players installed

If all else fails, installing a custom ROM will do the trick http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?s=049db4c08dfbbc44121a4e0f02fd8596&f=943

Thanks again PeeWee... It turns out yours and my suspicions were correct about the latest RUU from Verizon/HTC. They turned the feature to choose your video player off. I suspect that it may be for new movie app they plan to offer to their suscribers... Anyway, installed the 2.11.605.5 RUU and it's working again. The problem I have now is that verizon will keep trying to run the latest update which would break everything all over again. I wish there was a way to turn this crappy auto update off.
wreels
Raw Potato

Postby piet5211 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:53 pm

Starting with RMC beta 633 (menu button/Settings) you should be able to overrule default behavior of Android video selection, e.g. MX player is always used.
It is great when you use Remote Media Center for android, see frequently asked questions, any donations would be appreciated.
piet5211
Top Potato

Return to Remote Potato for Android