Why no Android app from Fattitude?

Discuss the Remote Potato clients available for the Android mobile OS
Forum rules
No spamming flaming etc

Re: Why no Android app from Fattitude?

Postby qjones » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:18 pm

qjones wrote:Yes I have noticed this in my testing also. But I am trying to avoid launching an external player and handle it all internally with the Media Player in the android SDK. This seems to break if the Audio codec is not correctly formatted. I'm not a huge fan of having to download another player to get things to work. And the stock video player seems to be hit or miss between devices and android builds. Maybe ICS will fix this but that is still probably a little ways off before being mainstream. (I still have not heard a definite timeline for my Galaxy Tab 10.1 to get it). Are there any downsides to using AAC audio? Carlos?

Nevermind on this. I have finally gotten my streams working with an MP3 audio track. However on Android the room for error on this is WAY too small! The littlest thing can either give no audio, choppy video or a "Sorry can't play video." issue. All the while it is working fine on my iPod Touch and VLC. I am still going to stick with AAC on Android for the moment as. There seems to be a lot more room for error here. But I am at least somewhat satisfied to know an mp3 codec can actually work.
qjones
New Potato

Postby Carlos » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:42 am

I'm glad to hear it.

Regarding the AAC issue, one of the main stumbling blocks is/was that AAC support in ffmpeg used to be fairly buggy, without using 3rd party (and potentially legally grey) add-ins. I think there may also have been some other compatibility issues with the iOS clients, but I could be mis-remembering it.

If it continues to be a huge problem once ICS gets more prevalent, I might add in the option via the API to encode in AAC, especially as it's likely that ffmpeg has come a long way in the last few months in this regard.

Carlos

FAQ: How to post debug logs | How to clear your browser cache

If you've found Remote Potato useful, please consider buying me a pint. Much appreciated!
Carlos
Head Potato

Postby doitda » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:39 pm

qjones,
I am getting Remote Potato set up today.
I have a HDHomeRun Prime 3-tuner version with WMC.
I have a rooted Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 and a Galaxy S2 smartphone also.
If you are still in need of beta testers, I'll give an app a try and let you know any feedback.

Thanks,
Da

qjones wrote:rldev,

I have also begun working on an Android App to support remote potato and a few other features. One of these features will be additional Live TV support if you have a Silicon Dust HDHomeRun/Prime network tuner. It also will support the Hauppauge cable card tuner, and with some work should support the Ceton InfiniTV. This is working quite nicely in my proof of concept check. I am starting off working on the "HD" tablet interface and a phone version coming soon after that. If anyone has any requests please let me know! I plan on having an open beta within the next month. Please send me a PM if you would like to participate.

Carlos and piet5211,

I have noticed from looking at some of the posts that live streaming on android seems to be partially broken at times depending on what external players/versions people are using, etc. In my app I am handling the video playback internally from the HLS streams. I can tell you that the main issue I believe is causing this is the Audio Codec the RP transcoding server is using. Android prefers(actually says it only works) when the Audio is in MP4/AAC format in lieu of MP3. This probably belongs in the developer forum but I saw it here and thought I would chime in!

Thanks,
doitda
Raw Potato

Postby qjones » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:52 pm

doitda wrote:I am getting Remote Potato set up today.
I have a HDHomeRun Prime 3-tuner version with WMC.
I have a rooted Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 and a Galaxy S2 smartphone also.
If you are still in need of beta testers, I'll give an app a try and let you know any feedback.

Wow this is almost my exact same setup! Except I have the Galaxy Nexus :). Anyway I made some pretty good strides this weekend. I am probably only about a few weeks out. One of the biggest things I worked on this weekend was trying to work out some bugs on the live TV streaming and I am probably going to need some of the most testing help here so this is good news. No one else seems to have a HD HomeRun prime so I am glad I will have a little bit of help here. If you don't mind please PM you email address so I can get back with you later. What version Android do you have on your Galaxy Tab?

Thanks,
qjones
New Potato

Postby Parker Clack » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:20 am

qjones:

I don't have the ability to send a PM yet but would like to help you test your program out. I am using two Hauppauge 2250 tuner cards running Windows 7 64 bit. If you can let
me know how to get in contact with you other than via PM that would be great. I am using Android 2.3.4 on my EVO 4G phone.

Regards,
Parker
Parker Clack
Raw Potato

Postby andreaseide » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:50 am

For your information, Parker.
PM is a function built in on this site.
If you look at the right side of every post, there is some information about the person that wrote the post.
If you are logged on there is also an PM button there.
Find the one for qjones and click his PM button, write your message and send it. :-)
--AndreasE--
Remote Potato Forum Moderator.

FAQ: How to post debug logs | How to clear your browser cache
andreaseide
Wise Potato

Postby Parker Clack » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:08 am

Andreaside:

At first the software wouldn't let me send a PM because I hadn't posted anything to the forum yet. I guess you have to have at
least one post before you can send a PM to another member. At any rate all is well and I was able send off the PM.

Regards,
Parker
Parker Clack
Raw Potato

Postby cstam » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:28 pm

I have an HD Homerun prime and I just ordered a Ceton InfiniTV 4 Pci-e after their price cuts. Let me know if you need another tester, would love to get live TV on my Evo 3D, my touchpad running CM9 and my nook color running CM 7.1.
cstam
Raw Potato

Previous

Return to Remote Potato for Android