Why no Android app from Fattitude?

Discuss the Remote Potato clients available for the Android mobile OS
Forum rules
No spamming flaming etc

Why no Android app from Fattitude?

Postby rldev » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:01 am

I know this has been asked, but why no app like remote potato HD for Android? While I appreciate Remote Media Center, it is not nearly as nice to use as your ipad app. I would think with the advent of Ice Cream Sandwich, this should be more feasible to do then in the past. I'm sure there would be many happy to pay for a more polished app.
rldev
New Potato

Re: Why no Android app from Fattitude?

Postby Carlos » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:02 pm

Well, it's certainly not top priority - I like to encourage the app ecosystem that has grown up around Remote Potato, and as I had never done any Android development myself, it seemed better to leave it to the experts.

That said, I have recently begun dabbling in more Android development so you never know - but while you may not like the UI of the existing RP Android app, it has to be said that it offers excellent funcionality and range of features.

And, if you don't like it, there's always the option to develop your own and sell it !

Carlos

FAQ: How to post debug logs | How to clear your browser cache

If you've found Remote Potato useful, please consider buying me a pint. Much appreciated!
Carlos
Head Potato

Postby piet5211 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:18 pm

Thanks Carlos for your supportive words.

A Dutch saying is: Whom fits the shoe, puts it on...

I am currently looking into the UI of RMC. For this I need some people to test and give me input.
PM me if you want to take part in this alpha test...

edit:

Due to great success in testing (special thanks goes out to my wife ;) ), I have put a new version on the market (0.600). If you have any remarks, please post them in http://forums.fatattitude.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1270
Last edited by piet5211 on Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It is great when you use Remote Media Center for android, see frequently asked questions, any donations would be appreciated.
piet5211
Top Potato

Postby qjones » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:49 pm

rldev,

I have also begun working on an Android App to support remote potato and a few other features. One of these features will be additional Live TV support if you have a Silicon Dust HDHomeRun/Prime network tuner. It also will support the Hauppauge cable card tuner, and with some work should support the Ceton InfiniTV. This is working quite nicely in my proof of concept check. I am starting off working on the "HD" tablet interface and a phone version coming soon after that. If anyone has any requests please let me know! I plan on having an open beta within the next month. Please send me a PM if you would like to participate.

Carlos and piet5211,

I have noticed from looking at some of the posts that live streaming on android seems to be partially broken at times depending on what external players/versions people are using, etc. In my app I am handling the video playback internally from the HLS streams. I can tell you that the main issue I believe is causing this is the Audio Codec the RP transcoding server is using. Android prefers(actually says it only works) when the Audio is in MP4/AAC format in lieu of MP3. This probably belongs in the developer forum but I saw it here and thought I would chime in!

Thanks,
qjones
New Potato

Postby PeeWee » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:26 am

qjones wrote:rldev,

If anyone has any requests please let me know! I plan on having an open beta within the next month. Please send me a PM if you would like to participate.

Thanks,

Hi, good to see additional apps coming, altough i still happily use Piets app almost every day. I would love native support for my Anysee DVB-T/C tuner, or maybe even better, support for DVBLink TVSource. DVBLink TVSource could serve as a basis to support any tuner. Noob question: why is it nescecary to support specific tuners? I thought development could be tuner-independent, as long as 7MC supports the tuner.
PeeWee
Wise Potato

Postby qjones » Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:28 pm

PeeWee wrote:Hi, good to see additional apps coming, altough i still happily use Piets app almost every day. I would love native support for my Anysee DVB-T/C tuner, or maybe even better, support for DVBLink TVSource. DVBLink TVSource could serve as a basis to support any tuner. Noob question: why is it nescecary to support specific tuners? I thought development could be tuner-independent, as long as 7MC supports the tuner.

My current method of adding LiveTV will be done by bypassing 7MC altogether and accessing the tv feed directly... At this point I am not looking to be writing in direct driver support for all of the various tuners out there. So while I just named a few that 1) I have access to, and 2) Have similar interfaces. Bottom line any tuner that can be converted into some form of a network udp/rtp type stream could theoretically be supported. Of course this assumes there is some method to change the channels easily.

I am state side so I do not have much familiarity with DVB tuners. I have used DVBLink in the past in my old setup with an HD-PVR before I got my cablecard tuners. I do know there is a SDK out there now for DVBLink that should be able to work just fine with how I am structuring things on my end (The DVBLogic Network addon will most likely be a requirement). All this really does is turn the TV signal into a network stream which should be fine as I mentioned earlier. Anyway sounds like I might could use you for testing on this front!

As far as getting this to work via the 7MC way I have a few ideas that I might could get to work half decently by setting up and streaming recordings etc. As Carlos has mentioned in the past doing it this way is a little more complicated then it sounds. So I would be looking to do this on the later end. But I would like this support so I can immediately start watching scheduled recordings anyway. I will just have to devise a way to automate the restarting of the streams...
qjones
New Potato

Postby andreaseide » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:26 pm

Hi.
Count me in as well.
Having both a Galaxy tab 10.1 and a HTC Desire HD I am willing to test for both of you.
I have a DVB link setup as well, with the network pack up and running.
Piet and qjones, you have a dedicated tester for Android apps in me.
--AndreasE--
Remote Potato Forum Moderator.

andreaseide
Wise Potato

Postby piet5211 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:35 pm

qjones wrote:rldev,
Carlos and piet5211,

I have noticed from looking at some of the posts that live streaming on android seems to be partially broken at times depending on what external players/versions people are using, etc. In my app I am handling the video playback internally from the HLS streams. I can tell you that the main issue I believe is causing this is the Audio Codec the RP transcoding server is using. Android prefers(actually says it only works) when the Audio is in MP4/AAC format in lieu of MP3. This probably belongs in the developer forum but I saw it here and thought I would chime in!

Thanks,

Good to hear an alternative android client is on the horizon :) .

ICS has a HLS capable player that works fine with the streams RP provides. Also the problems with playing HLS on android seem to be often videoplayer-settings related (see FAQ).

You are welcome to share any insight while developing the client.
It is great when you use Remote Media Center for android, see frequently asked questions, any donations would be appreciated.
piet5211
Top Potato

Postby qjones » Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:13 am

Yes I have noticed this in my testing also. But I am trying to avoid launching an external player and handle it all internally with the Media Player in the android SDK. This seems to break if the Audio codec is not correctly formatted. I'm not a huge fan of having to download another player to get things to work. And the stock video player seems to be hit or miss between devices and android builds. Maybe ICS will fix this but that is still probably a little ways off before being mainstream. (I still have not heard a definite timeline for my Galaxy Tab 10.1 to get it). Are there any downsides to using AAC audio? Carlos?
qjones
New Potato

Postby andreaseide » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:44 am

Hi both of you.
I've heard that ICS is supposed to come to Galaxy tab 10.1 in February.
8-)
--AndreasE--
Remote Potato Forum Moderator.

andreaseide
Wise Potato

Next

Return to Remote Potato for Android