Kindle Fire - Working!

Discuss the Remote Potato clients available for the Android mobile OS
Forum rules
No spamming flaming etc

Kindle Fire - Working!

Postby woodchuck » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:14 am

WOW, after a few more tweaks, this app really runs well on the Kindle! Honestly there isn't much I would change now! Here are the steps to install, and some notes at the bottom for optimizing it so it purrs like a kitten!

Here is how to get Remote Media Player working on the Kindle Fire:

1) On a rooted Android Phone (SGSII, in my case), install Remote Media Player, Daroon Player, and Root Explorer.
2) On the Android Phone, use Root Explorer to navigate to /data/app (may vary based on Android version).
3) Using email, send these two files to an email account that your Kindle has been setup to retrieve: tv.dyndns.piet5211.remotepotatoclient-1.apk, com.daroonsoft.player-1.apk
4) On your Kindle, goto Settings--> Device, and set Allow Installation of Applications From Unknown Sources to ON.
5) On your Kindle, install "Easy Installer" from the Amazon App Store
6) Now, from the Kindle, retrieve your email that includes the two applications from step 3.
7) Save the applications, don't attempt to open them from the email.
8) Go to the Easy Installer app from from above, and install the two application you saved.
9) Configure Remote Media Player and you are ready to go!!!

IT WORKS! Thanks for the help Madman999!

Additional Notes:
-Change the font size in RMP under settings->custom buttons to "Custom Buttons, Big Text"
-Daroon Player exits with wanting to save the stream. This can be disabled in Daroon Player's settings
-Change Settings-> EPG Settings-> Channels per Block to 20. This will keep the guide page loads smooth. Any less and you will get partial page loads.
-Setup favorites in Remote Potato admin settings. Enable in RMP for better guide performance.
-WOL works. You can install it using the same basic steps above. I installed "WoL Wake On Lan WAN". It is not available in the Amazon store. I like this one because it doesn't require you to modify the settings in RMP.
Last edited by woodchuck on Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:17 pm, edited 5 times in total.
woodchuck
Potato

Re: Kindle Fire - Partially working

Postby woodchuck » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:31 am

Tried to install DICE Player for playback with the same technique, but I get a license error... DOH!!!!
woodchuck
Potato

Re: Kindle Fire - Partially working

Postby madman999 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:16 pm

try vPlayer or Daroon Player or Rock Player Lite.
madman999
Potato

Re: Kindle Fire - Working!

Postby woodchuck » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:47 pm

Daroon player worked!!! I can now stream video to the Fire!!! NICE!

It is a little clunky in a number of ways, but, hey, it works for now! I'll try and document the procedure better when I get back from lunch. I do plan to have a few beers, so my explanation might not be so good...
woodchuck
Potato

Postby the_bear » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:59 am

Is there any plan to make the package available for direct download from the Amazon app store? I don't have another Android device to copy from.
the_bear
Raw Potato

Postby sorahl » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:18 pm

i agree . I am really hoping a version will be forthcoming for the Kindle Fire. I also do not have another Android device (rooted or otherwise) and would willing pay again (have the Iphone app) for a Kindle Fire version. Ill beta test too!!
sorahl
Raw Potato

Postby mjtavares » Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:04 pm

This is great.
Streams cleaner and renders better than the iPad!
mjtavares
Raw Potato

Postby jburroughs » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:59 pm

Is there a link to directly download the apk? I don't have another Android device...I would happily PayPal the app creator with some funds even though this is a free app.
jburroughs
Raw Potato

Postby rldev » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:47 pm

I rooted my Kindle, installed google apps, downloaded Remote Media Center and MX Plyer with arm 7 codec. No issues.
rldev
New Potato

Postby gumjuac » Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:32 pm

I am new to Android and my Kindle Fire. I asked a friend with an Android phone to go through this procedure, but he was a bit baffled, and I could not help much. Could I ask a great favor, and have you email the two apk files to me at davidkaplan_at_yahoo.com? I would be sincerely grateful!

Thanks

Gumjuac Dave
gumjuac
Raw Potato

Next

Return to Remote Potato for Android