Remote Potato Server becoming Open Source! Forums Closing

Questions or posts relating to Squarepeg played within a web browser.
Forum rules
No spamming, flaming or excessive self-promotion. Please be polite and kind to other forum users!

Remote Potato Server becoming Open Source! Forums Closing

Postby Carlos » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:16 am

Dear all - an announcement:

Remote Potato Server is becoming Open Source software!
Remote Potato is a project of which I am extremely proud; it has grown from a small text-based remote-record facility into a full streaming server with an API and multiple client apps. I am grateful to the many tens of thousands of people who download the software each month and leave great feedback. I strongly wish the development of the software to continue, and I know that users do too. Sadly my time is limited and becoming even more so; I have to do my full-time job and this leaves me with no spare time to add new features to the code base; even less when our baby arrives this November.

Therefore, I have decided to release the Remote Potato Server software as a GPL Open Source project. Developers will be able to collaborate on the server, implement new features and fix any issues. All the source will be public readable.

The project will need developers and a leader; otherwise it is likely that it will never progress. I am interested in hearing from anyone who has an interest in leading and/or contributing to the project. If you would like to be part of the development team, or lead the team, please email me at carl at remote potato dot com. Remote Potato is written in C# NET (WinForms and Silverlight) and leverages undocumented MS .NET media center class libraries

UPDATE: The open source files are now online here at GitHub - please get involved!

Thanks again to all you Remote Potatoers - the Media Center users community is one of the most enthusiastic, keen ones I have ever known and I'm proud to be part of it!

Forums are closing
Leading on from this, it is with some regret that I have taken the decision to close the forums. Sadly, I no longer have time to maintain a level of forum-based support for the free server software that I feel is necessary. It feels more appropriate to retire the forums rather than leave users confused and/or wondering why they are not getting a response. Support for all paid apps will continue at the main website as per usual.

From today, the forums have become read-only. They will remain up for a limited time, as I transfer the most helpful bits and bobs back into the main FAQ.

Developers should note that there are channels within GitHub to flag issues and discuss developer-related matters.

Best wishes

Carl

Carl Partridge
Lead Developer
Remote Potato
http://www.remotepotato.com

Also: http://www.buschecker.com | http://www.fatattitude.com

FAQ: How to post debug logs | How to clear your browser cache

If you've found Remote Potato useful, please consider buying me a pint. Much appreciated!
Carlos
Head Potato

Return to Squarepeg for Browsers