Wanted: Remote Potato Android app developer

Made a theme for Remote Potato, or an App using the API? Post the details here so other users can help test it, or just to show it off in all its glory!
Forum rules
No spamming, flaming or excessive self-promotion - play nicely!

Wanted: Remote Potato Android app developer

Postby docprego » Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:48 am

Work on the previously announced Android app has now apparently ceased. iOS will soon have what looks to be a terrific app available in the app store. Android has just about the same market share as iOS and is predicted to surpass it in 2011.

What we really need is a developer to take on this project for Android. I'm using an HTC EVO and will gladly help in any way possible. Unfortunately I do not know how to program or I'd be spending every waking moment I had developing it.

Any leads? Interest?
docprego
Hot Potato

Re: Wanted: Remote Potato Android app developer

Postby andreaseide » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:11 am

Hi. :D
I would be happy to help in any testing with my HTC Desire as well.
--AndreasE--
Remote Potato Forum Moderator.

FAQ: How to post debug logs | How to clear your browser cache
andreaseide
Wise Potato

Postby duncane » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:48 pm

Add me to the testers list too please. Nexus One on 2.2, soon to be 2.3... :mrgreen:
Cheers
Ewan
duncane
New Potato

Postby sterno3 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:02 am

I am a java developer w/ a new android phone (Evo 4g) I may be willing to do some development for a native android app. What is the current state of development? Is there a current googleCode or github project? I need to get a android dev environment set up before I can commit to anything, but have wanted to do some mobile development & just needed a project. O BTW I am recent media center convert and am a huge fan of remote potato.
Check out my work: Android Development Effort
sterno3
New Potato

Postby andreaseide » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:22 am

Hi Sterno3, and welcome to our forum.
We haven't managed to get in touch with the guy that started some developement by himself, so I don't think we have anything of what you want.
I believe you have to start from scratch...
What we do have, is some API documentation, and maybe we can put you in contact with the Windows Phone7 dev, or Carlos himself, as he built the iPhone app.
Please feel free to get in touch if there is anything you are wondering about. (I'm not a programmer, but I have been with Remote Potato from the start.)
--AndreasE--
Remote Potato Forum Moderator.

andreaseide
Wise Potato

Postby Livin » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:20 am

I'm wondering if having a great (and cross platform) web UI would be better than a a native Android app. The problem I'm seeing all these great PC/MAC based apps is that everyone is developing native apps, thus doubleing the work to support mobile devices... soon triple is Win7 Phone catches fire.

A very good java/ajax/html5 web UI might be a lot better for everyone in the long run?
Livin
Hot Potato

Postby docprego » Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:51 am

sterno3 wrote:I am a java developer w/ a new android phone (Evo 4g) I may be willing to do some development for a native android app. What is the current state of development? Is there a current googleCode or github project? I need to get a android dev environment set up before I can commit to anything, but have wanted to do some mobile development & just needed a project. O BTW I am recent media center convert and am a huge fan of remote potato.

Sounds great but I don't think there is a current state of development, we're basically at ground zero. I am not a programmer but desperately want to see development commence and would somehow love to be involved.

Livin wrote:I'm wondering if having a great (and cross platform) web UI would be better than a a native Android app. The problem I'm seeing all these great PC/MAC based apps is that everyone is developing native apps, thus doubleing the work to support mobile devices... soon triple is Win7 Phone catches fire.

A very good java/ajax/html5 web UI might be a lot better for everyone in the long run?

Personally I much prefer dedicated apps over web based ones. They seem to operate a lot more fluidly and can be tailored to the specific device.

I just saw that there's a WIndows Phone 7 app newly available, this is getting ridiculous. Android is a monster compared to Windows Phone (200,000 vs 5000 published apps), we need to get an app in the works yesterday.
docprego
Hot Potato

Postby docprego » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:43 pm

Just posted over at XDA hoping to stir up some interest in Android developers:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=902429
docprego
Hot Potato

Postby sterno3 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:07 pm

Sorry for the lack of response...we had a baby on the 27th, so I have been otherwise occupied. HTML5 is an interesting idea, but I am not sure how it plays out with the streaming.

As I see it, my main requirement for the RemotePotato Android app is to provide the functionality that the Silverlight app provides beyond the HTML version. At this point the two main features missing in the HTML version are: Streaming and Music. I know the music is a newer feature & may just be lagging in being added to the HTML version. So that leaves streaming as the 'missing link' for functionality that I want on my EVO.

It is my guess that we might be at a dead end with the streaming in Android. I think it is a non-starter due to DRM on Android. I haven't researched or talked with Carlos, but I am guessing Silverlight is handling the DRM for the .wtv files. It appears that the format is pretty tightly controlled and that the challenge is playing nice with DRM. As I understand it DLNA streamers aren't even supporting .wtv files for this reason.

SIlverlight is being used by Netflix (even on mac OSX) I am guessing because of it's DRM capability. If you note, there is no netflix streaming app for Android yet (it's coming soon I hear). As I understand it, the reasoning is due to lack of DRM support in Android.

I may be way off, but I would like to understand if it's even possible before I jump in.
Check out my work: Android Development Effort
sterno3
New Potato

Postby Carlos » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:38 pm

Hello

A couple of comments and updates.

Firstly, I have been contacted by an Android developer who may be interested in working on an App, so I'm in dialogue with him and may have some more news soon -- I think he is keen that it be open source, so anyone interested who has posted here should/will be able to get involved.

Secondly, some notes about the streaming. DRM is not really the issue. Sometimes WTV files are DRM protected and if this is the case then, yes, you can't stream them. But most tend to be unprotected and, in this case, they can be transcoded on the server to any other format then streamed. At the moment, the two available streaming formats that a Remote Potato Server provides are Microsoft's WSMP (the successor to MMS) and Apple's HTTP Live Streaming. So, if Android clients exist for either of these, we're in luck. If they don't, perhaps I can see what else I can conjure up, although this could potentially take a lot longer.

Even if we can't get RP to stream to Android initially, at least it would be useful to schedule recordings, browse the EPG, listen to music and view pictures.

Watch this space -- hopefully if my discussions with this developer are productive, you may see an Android App forum appearing here shortly!

Carlos

If you've found Remote Potato useful, please consider buying me a pint. Much appreciated!
Carlos
Head Potato

Next

Return to Themes and Apps