Windows Mobile 6 WVGA Client [Updated 8/12/2010]

Made a theme for Remote Potato, or an App using the API? Post the details here so other users can help test it, or just to show it off in all its glory!
Forum rules
No spamming, flaming or excessive self-promotion - play nicely!

Windows Mobile 6 WVGA Client [Updated 8/12/2010]

Postby spokanedj » Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:15 pm

I've been working on a Windows Mobile client for Remote Potato, named "Smart Potato" for a while. I'm finally ready to start sharing it and letting people give some feedback.

Download the App here: SmartPotato.cab

First off, I don't have a lot of talent in the "making it look pretty" category. While the iPhone and Android apps look darn cool, the Windows Mobile one atleast works (sorta). The main purpose of this app was to be able to do remote recording and view guide data from my phone. Basically find the show, click record, put phone back in pocket and move on. All the other stuff was just playing with the API and trying to see what I can do. The app was never meant to "manage" anything. Over time I'm guessing either this one or my WP7 version will become more of a management tool (and hopefully streaming) as well.

[Updated 8/12/2010]
* Added ability to set Quality and Size for Streaming TV.
[Updated 8/11/2010]
* You can now watch Recorded TV. The current implementation requires the streaming port to be xxx1 of your published port, so if you publish the web interface on 56789 the streaming port must be 56781. If you are using a firewall to publish ports, this only has to do with your firewall and not your actual RP streaming port. (Make sure you Server config doesn't have anything after the port number).
* Added Input panel control for login text boxes for those without a physical keyboard.

[First Release]
* Currently only supports WVGA 480x800. It will work on other screen sizes but you'll have scroll bars. If someone wants a different resolution, let me know.
* HTTP Basic Authentication doesn't work (its in there, might work for you, doesn't for me). This is when you check Security and put a un/pw in the RP settings.
* Show Listings for a single Channel for a Single day and Record a show (single recording, hope to add series soon)
* Search Listings and record a show (should work when the Search command is fixed)
* See list of Scheduled Recordings (series)
* See list of Recorded TV Shows

Things Possibly to do:

* Sort listboxes for time and text. Currently lists are displayed in the order the server provides the data.
* Show Series only and not all episodes to record and all drill down to series
* Display Recording/series Status when looking at a show and allow cancel recording/series.
* Notifications when loading data from the server

Image Image Image Image
Last edited by spokanedj on Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Smart Potato for Windows Phone 7: http://www.ntworld.com
spokanedj
Hot Potato

Re: Windows Mobile 6 WVGA Client

Postby woody11 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:39 pm

I tried out the Win Mobile 6 client. The client failed to connect with an indication at the bottom of the app that says: "An error message is available for this exception", but I can't find a log file explaining the error. The log on the server shows "Client connected" and "SendToBrowser: No. of bytes sent: 67". So, I am unable to connect and I don't have any other diagnostics to tell me what the problem is.

Is this client supposed to work with RP v .90, or does it require the beta version? Any other things I can try to get this to work? Otherwise, do I need to list a new client in the Mobile Browsers tab on the server app? If so, what client should I list?
woody11
New Potato

Postby spokanedj » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:22 am

If you use a web browser on the Windows Mobile Client, can you connect to the remote potato web server using the same URL you put into Smart Potato with /main adding to it? Usually its a connectivity issue, and if web browser can connect to the remote potato server, then Smart Potato should be able to as well. Make sure you add the port in the server name and use a full URL like the picture above.

I'm running v0.92.10.0dev on my Media Center with Smart Potato. I didn't change anything in the API which I originally tested against .90 and now am using with .92.
Last edited by spokanedj on Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spokanedj
Hot Potato

Postby woody11 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:21 pm

I am able to connect from my HTC Tilt 2 using Opera Mobile 10 and Pocket Internet Explorer, but not the RP client. I always get the "An error message is available but can't be displayed" message.
woody11
New Potato

Postby flatliner » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:59 pm

I got the app installed with upgrading my .Net Compact version to 3.5. But when I start the app my keyboard does not appear when I trying to put in the server name and login?

Any ideas?

I got an omnia II with windows mobile 6.5 installed

PS I don't mind to help you with the dev of the layout
flatliner
New Potato

Postby WhoIsIt » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:18 pm

Is there any way to actually stream the video onto a Windows Mobile 6.1 phone? I am able to use Smart Potato, as well as access everthing from my phone's web browser, but there doesn't appear to be any option that enables watching the recorded video.

Thanks
WhoIsIt
New Potato

Postby andreaseide » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:47 am

Hi.

As silverlight is not supported on Windows Mobile (except by a couple of browsers like skyfire, but it does not support streaming either) streaming is not supported yet.
Streaming is (for now) built on silverlight, but there will be some big changes coming up this fall.
Including a new streaming engine, that hopefully will support streaming to mobile units as well.
--AndreasE--
Remote Potato Forum Moderator.

FAQ: How to post debug logs | How to clear your browser cache
andreaseide
Wise Potato

Postby spokanedj » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:43 pm

flatliner wrote:I got the app installed with upgrading my .Net Compact version to 3.5. But when I start the app my keyboard does not appear when I trying to put in the server name and login?

When you click in any of the three text fields, the InputPanel should now appear. Redownload and give it another try and let me know is that works for you.
spokanedj
Hot Potato

Postby spokanedj » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:57 pm

andreaseide wrote:As silverlight is not supported on Windows Mobile (except by a couple of browsers like skyfire, but it does not support streaming either) streaming is not supported yet.
Streaming is (for now) built on silverlight, but there will be some big changes coming up this fall.
Including a new streaming engine, that hopefully will support streaming to mobile units as well.

While this may be true for the Native Remote Potato interface, its not true in General. Remote Potato just uses the Windows HTTP Streaming Protocol and an ASF payload. While this doesn't allow for much control of the experience, its certainly not limited to just silverlight, and just about anything modern will play it.

I figured out how to make this work in the Windows Mobile 6 client by simple spawning Media Player with the appropriate URL are the right time. Currently there isn't a way to specify starting point or quality, but I'll probably have that in there before anyone reads this update anyways....
spokanedj
Hot Potato

Postby spokanedj » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:59 pm

WhoIsIt wrote:Is there any way to actually stream the video onto a Windows Mobile 6.1 phone? I am able to use Smart Potato, as well as access everthing from my phone's web browser, but there doesn't appear to be any option that enables watching the recorded video.

If you download the latest version, there is a play button that will start Media Player and play the recorded tv. Currently there isn't anyway to control the start point or pause, but I'm hoping to add those. This is really just a proof of concept right now.
spokanedj
Hot Potato

Next

Return to Themes and Apps