[Theme] iPotato! v0.1[e]! [Discontinued]

Made a theme for Remote Potato, or an App using the API? Post the details here so other users can help test it, or just to show it off in all its glory!
Forum rules
No spamming, flaming or excessive self-promotion - play nicely!

[Theme] iPotato! v0.1[e]! [Discontinued]

Postby Kairu » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:25 am

Note: This theme has been unsupported for almost a year and is horribly outdated. With the release of the RP App in the AppStore I saw no reason to continue this project.

However if there is a large amount of interest, I would consider taking another look!

Hello there!

I have had some fun teaching myself jQTouch (and jQuery) to bring this theme to you! It is intended for the iPhone(or iPod Touch, and possibly iPad), but can potentially work on other mobile interfaces. (It can be viewed on any browser, but will only properly display on a browser running WebKit, and even then an iPhone/iTouch is preferred)

I have named it iPotato, because it is an iPhone interface for Remote Potato. (See what I did there? :lol:)

This theme is still very young, and it was created by someone who is just learning the skills needed to write such a WebApp. So as time goes on I hope to be able to refine it and make it better. Hopefully everyone can bare with me as I get accustomed to a new language concept.

The current theme is available for download just below. The changelog and ToDo follow afterward.

iPotato v0.1[f].zip
iPotato Theme v0.1[f]
(177.43 KiB) Downloaded 1772 times

Known bugs:
  • Form based links are non-functional in Mobile Safari.

Changelog:
v0.1[f] [Current] -
  • Basic animations/transitions for TV Guide done.
  • All links are properly rebound, with full confirmations.
  • Pages are no longer cached. May re-implement at a later time, with better support. (Cancel/Delete/Record/etc. were problematic.
  • TV Guide now goes to Home when back button is pressed, instead of iterating through previously viewed pages.
  • Moved the "View as List" and "View as Guide" buttons into toolbar, added animation/transition.
  • Themed buttons under Programme Details. (Which is renamed to Details so it would fit on the small toolbar. More button theming to come!)
  • Search for a Show has a shorter name (As do many others) and a new look. (But apparently the iPhone doesn't want to execute the search)
  • Began remodeling Recorded TV.
  • Hardcoded the back button after deleting a recording. (May have introduced a little bug, but I could not replicate it)
  • General Appearance Improvement. No more generic buttons (Excluding Recorded TV), moved around a few things.
v0.1[e] -
  • Added a couple custom animations/transitions. (Still buggy for a couple, but makes Guide traversing less confusing)
  • Added proper rebinding of links.
  • Settings interface. (Mostly useless)
  • Copyright info is now placed properly. (I didn't notice it being ignored by the backend before. Look is not final.)
  • About moved into settings page to clear up that toolbar space.
  • Delete button now actually confirms!!! (Other buttons will follow, please be aware that all other buttons will ignore your confirmation input!!!)
  • Most if not all form sections are now functional! (I made a booboo before)
v0.1[d] -
  • Downgraded Backend by one revision to remove experimental code.
  • Fixed a silly JavaScript bug on my part.
  • Fixed loading issues.
  • Cleaned up and reorganized code.
v0.1[c] -
  • Backend Updated
  • Changed viewing page from /skin/main.htm to /skin/index.htm (Hopefully will be able to stick this in the root eventually)
  • Dynamically updates all URL's to start at the root (fixes any images or pages that would error out)
  • Any page that is not the main page, will alert you and send you to the main page.
  • Completely contained on one HTML page (once content is loaded it stay's loaded.

Todo:
  • Offline mode.
  • Update backend when more stable version is available.
  • Advanced animations/transitions. (toolbar staying in place on TV Guide)
  • See about preloading images throughout the app.
  • Fix a few CSS things. (Overlays are not overlaying, they are beside)
  • General appearance stuff.
  • Settings:
    • Auto unload content when you stop viewing it?[Forced now]
    • Save content for offline mode viewing?
    • Toggle User Confirmations. (May not implement)
    • Auto Update? (If possible)
Kairu - Code Testing / Forum Moderator
Kairu
Wise Potato

Re: [Theme] Barebone iPhone Concept Using jQTouch

Postby andreaseide » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:28 am

Great work:D
I know a friend or two that will love this:)
--AndreasE--
Remote Potato Forum Moderator.

FAQ: How to post debug logs | How to clear your browser cache
andreaseide
Wise Potato

Postby Kairu » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:00 pm

Yeah, it's very ugly, and at the moment severely crippled for some reason. I'll try to fix it later today or Friday.

[s]What I have so far is attached.[/s]New version in first post.

The main issue is EPG data doesn't format correctly, and when you try to view the same thing twice it just breaks.

I'll continue to work on it.
Kairu
Wise Potato

Postby Kairu » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:15 am

I'm scrapping the previous version and am having everything load dynamically from a central file located in the skin folder. It's proving to be a little more difficult and the code is simply atrocious! But I think I am on to something. I'll post later with more info and most likely a new theme file.
Kairu
Wise Potato

Re: [Theme] iPotato!

Postby Kairu » Sat May 01, 2010 8:31 am

Well, I updated the backend to the newest jQTouch source, and it..... Well, it fixes some things and breaks others.

In theory it is almost completely done. All the proper elements should be where they need to be, excluding form calls. In practice, things I have no control over are broken, and I need to wait for a more stable build before I can release a proper and full theme. I have updated the theme file above to match what I have, but it is obviously only to preview what it will look like.

Changelog:
  • Backend Updated
  • Changed viewing page from /skin/main.htm to /skin/index.htm (Hopefully will be able to stick this in the root eventually)
  • Dynamically updates all URL's to start at the root (fixes any images or pages that would error out)
  • Any page that is not the main page, will alert you and send you to the main page.
  • Completely contained on one HTML page (once content is loaded it stay's loaded.
Todo:
  • Offline mode.
  • Update backend when more stable version is available.
  • Form Support.
  • Settings:
    • Auto unload content when you stop viewing it
    • Save content for offline mode viewing
Kairu
Wise Potato

Postby andreaseide » Sat May 01, 2010 11:20 am

Great work Kairu.

Nice choice of name. ;-)
--AndreasE--

andreaseide
Wise Potato

Postby Carlos » Sun May 02, 2010 10:07 am

Great to see this work being done - will grab a moment to test when I can!

At some point I plan to develop an actual iPhone App for Remote Potato, but that is some months away.

Top stuff! ;)

Carlos

If you've found Remote Potato useful, please consider buying me a pint. Much appreciated!
Carlos
Head Potato

Re: [Theme] iPotato! v0.1[e]!

Postby Kairu » Wed May 05, 2010 2:10 am

Version 0.1[f] has been edited into the first post!

There are some performance drawbacks to the way I am doing things (literally iterating through every single link on the page every time a new page is loaded for one), but after I get the kinks worked out, i plan to optimize it all! Believe me, the performance will definitely improve. I have been coding quickly which means a lot of the backend is sloppy. Some of the slow down is the delay between the server request and the server response, but if you see things like links being themed and re arranged before your eyes, that should disappear in a future release. Most likely by the time I feel comfortable increasing the version to 0.2

If anyone see's any bugs (Or has any requests) please feel free to tell me. It might take a day or so to manage to fix it, but I will get there!
Kairu
Wise Potato

Postby andreaseide » Wed May 05, 2010 4:59 am

Hi Kairu.

This is looking good. :D
There is one thing not working though.
the day/time selector does nothing when clicking Go.
The arrows work though.
Another thing I don't get to work is the Search Shows function. The page loads, but the Find button don't work.

Great work by the way.:)
--AndreasE--

andreaseide
Wise Potato

Postby Kairu » Wed May 05, 2010 5:28 am

Oh, that! I forgot to mention, I am having some issues with forms, specifically on Mobile Safari. I use Firefox to test the basics and look at generated DOM source, Safari to test the looks and how things run with WebKit, and then double check everything in Mobile Safari on my iPhone. Both those items work without a hitch in Firefox and Safari, but Mobile Safari will not accept them for some reason. I might have to overwrite some properties or something, not sure though.

I'll add that to the first post though, and will hopefully be able to sort it out sometime tonight/tomorrow.

I'm glad you like it though! ^_^
Kairu
Wise Potato

Next

Return to Themes and Apps