New Streaming Engine is AWESOME

If you're using a tech preview version of Remote Potato then don't post in the regular support forums, as it's not supported in the same way. Instead please check in here for known issues and post your feedback and bug reports. Your comments and feedback are actively encouraged!
Forum rules
No spamming, flaming or excessive self-promotion. Please play nicely!

New Streaming Engine is AWESOME

Postby xp3nd4bl3 » Tue May 17, 2011 10:37 pm

The new H.264 streaming is absolutely GORGEOUS! This makes Remote Potato a retail-quality application! Time for me to buy you a couple pints, Carlos!

- When I stream from Safari for Mac if I hit the full-screen button the player opens full-screen but the video itself is not full screen.
- Any chance of making an HD preset for those of us with beefy machines and fat connections? maybe like 1280x720@3-5Mbps?

Thanks again!
xp3nd4bl3
New Potato

Re: New Streaming Engine is AWESOME

Postby xp3nd4bl3 » Wed May 18, 2011 1:04 am

Actually it is going full screen - just encoding at the wrong aspect ratio so I have black bars.
xp3nd4bl3
New Potato

Postby Carlos » Wed May 18, 2011 8:15 am

xp3nd4bl3 wrote:The new H.264 streaming is absolutely GORGEOUS! This makes Remote Potato a retail-quality application! Time for me to buy you a couple pints, Carlos!

Thanks for the kind comments.

xp3nd4bl3 wrote:- When I stream from Safari for Mac if I hit the full-screen button the player opens full-screen but the video itself is not full screen.
- Any chance of making an HD preset for those of us with beefy machines and fat connections? maybe like 1280x720@3-5Mbps?

Actually it is going full screen - just encoding at the wrong aspect ratio so I have black bars.

I'll look at this; before you go full screen have you tried clicking the aspect ratio button (next to the 'full screen') button?

Carlos

FAQ: How to post debug logs | How to clear your browser cache

If you've found Remote Potato useful, please consider buying me a pint. Much appreciated!
Carlos
Head Potato

Postby xp3nd4bl3 » Wed May 18, 2011 5:52 pm

Yep, I set it to 16:9 and the aspect ratio of the video is correct, it just has black bars on all four sides. When not in full-screen mode I can zoom to fill the screen. Almost seems like it's transcoding at the wrong aspect ratio so the side bars have been added to the presented video.
xp3nd4bl3
New Potato

Postby jeffdgr8 » Wed May 18, 2011 10:12 pm

I'm having the same problem. The 1:1 setting should display 16:9 recordings as 16:9, but they show as 4:3. Changing the aspect ratio to 16:9 manually shows the aspect ratio correctly, but it has black bars all the way around it. Makes sense that the video is probably being transcoded with the wrong aspect ratio. Love the new FF/RW ability in the live stream! Thanks for your great work.
jeffdgr8
Potato

Postby jeffdgr8 » Wed May 18, 2011 10:45 pm

Also, the problem with the zoom workaround to this, besides not being able to go into fullscreen, is the zooming cuts off the bottom of the video at a certain point, a little above the control bar (even when the control bar goes away, the video is cut off at the bottom). The top and the bottom do not zoom uniformly either. After the top reaches a certain point (considerably below the top of the window), the video only expands downward from that point on. Some of these zooming issue might be related to the extra black bars in the video I'm sure.
jeffdgr8
Potato

Postby jeffdgr8 » Sat May 28, 2011 7:04 am

Aspect ratio problems are all fixed in v1.0.1, at least in the browser interface. There's still problems in the Remote Media Center Android app. I'll post details in that forum.
jeffdgr8
Potato

Return to Tech Previews - Discussion