Remote Potato 98.18 Tech Preview Logon Problem

If you're using a tech preview version of Remote Potato then don't post in the regular support forums, as it's not supported in the same way. Instead please check in here for known issues and post your feedback and bug reports. Your comments and feedback are actively encouraged!
Forum rules
No spamming, flaming or excessive self-promotion. Please play nicely!

Remote Potato 98.18 Tech Preview Logon Problem

Postby nickb » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:12 pm

Ok, I set everything up correctly, and when I try to login to the server, it will not recognize my logon and password. I set up all 4 ports as directed, and I use DynDNS (You really should leave that stuff out to let RP configure it, as I think this is causing the problem, and is really not necessary). No matter what I do, it will not let me login.

I reverted back to 98.12 and it works fine.

What gives?
nickb
Hot Potato

Re: Remote Potato 98.18 Tech Preview Logon Problem

Postby nickb » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:31 pm

OK....I removed and reinstalled, but this time, I bypassed using the "setup" file, and used the main executable to install. It didn't ask me all that crazy DynDNS setup stuff and now it works fine.

I would highly suggest you remove that setup with the DynDNS/Remote Potato Client configuration as it really isn't needed or it causes issues.

BTW, when I used the "setup" file, it also told me I didn't have the streaming pack installed, which certainly wasn't the case. I've been running the 64 bit pack for months now.
Last edited by nickb on Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nickb
Hot Potato

Postby nickb » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:49 pm

On another note....the videos folder doesn't list all my videos. Most are mpg, but I guess RP doesn't support WMV?
nickb
Hot Potato

Postby Carlos » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:48 pm

Moved to Tech Preview forum

FAQ: How to post debug logs | How to clear your browser cache

If you've found Remote Potato useful, please consider buying me a pint. Much appreciated!
Carlos
Head Potato

Postby Carlos » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:52 pm

Hi there, I'm glad that you got it working.

nickb wrote:You really should leave that stuff out to let RP configure it, as I think this is causing the problem, and is really not necessary).

How do you know this is causing the problem? RP doesn't 'configure' DynDNS, it just has its own DynDNS client that you can optionally use. A frequent issue from many novice users is that they need help with the connection setup, so this new wizard is in response to those issues.

If you don't want to use that bit of the wizard, there is a very clear option to select 'I use my own DynDNS client' which will skip that step.

I repeat, how do you know this is (or was) causing your problems?

nickb wrote:On another note....the videos folder doesn't list all my videos. Most are mpg, but I guess RP doesn't support WMV?

Thanks for spotting this - sounds like we need to add 'WMV' to the filter list for videos.

On a final note, I'd like to remind you that you've chosen to use an unstable tech preview of the software for testers - so don't be surprised if there are issues!

FAQ: How to post debug logs | How to clear your browser cache

If you've found Remote Potato useful, please consider buying me a pint. Much appreciated!
Carlos
Head Potato

Postby nickb » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:46 pm

Hi Carlos,

I understand why you put the DynDNS stuff in there...I just seemed that when I did configure it using those steps, I encountered the logon issue...figured they might be related. If I am in error, I apologize.

Glad to spot the WMV thing. :)
nickb
Hot Potato

Return to Tech Previews - Discussion