Can't access RP using Port Forwarding

Can't access your home PC, or stream from it over the Internet? Need to forward ports? Post your problems here, exchange tips and read the FAQ about how to get things working.
Forum rules
No spamming, flaming or excessive self-promotion.

Can't access RP using Port Forwarding

Postby Yan Scutt » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:00 am

Hello, I just installed the newest version of RP (0.89.3.3). I am new to RP, but I was able to set-up most of the software without any issues. However, I am having trouble with the most important piece: Port Forwarding. I can access the RP Silverlight screen if I type in my PC's local LAN IP address plus the ":9080" port address. However, when I try to access RP over the internet, I get "website not available" in IE8 or "error 405- customized server only allows Get and Post" in Chrome. Here's what I've done to try to resolve the problem:

First, I made sure my router (an AirLink 430W) was set-up to forward ports 9080 and 9081 to my PC's local IP (192.168.1.101).
Second, I double-checked that the port was open using PFPortChecker.exe.
Third, I set-up a free dynamic DNS host at dyndns.org.
Fourth, I set-up DDNS on my router.

Now, if I go to my DDNS URL (xxx.dyndns.org) I am taken to my router's log-in page. However, if I go to xxx.dyndns.org:9080 I get the error message above. Also, if I type in my router's current dynamic external IP address plus the port address (XX.XXX.XX.XX:9080) I get the same error message.

WTF? I'm I doing something wrong? It seems like I've checked all the possible problems! Does any one have any ideas for what I should try next?

Thanks!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
classic wii controller
Wii Steering Wheel
Wii Remote Controller
wii motion plus
Yan Scutt
Raw Potato

Re: Can't access RP using Port Forwarding

Postby PeeWee » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:05 am

Hi Yan,

Thanks for trying out Remote Potato.

First, are you sure about the RP version? The current version is 1.0.6.

Secondly, maybe the setup of the Windows Firewall rules during installation was unsuccesful. Could you try to disable any firewalls on the HTPC temporarily?

Third, we have had people report that Microsoft Security Essentials can be the cause of unexplained connection problems, so try to disable that for the moment is applicable.

Last, we have had a user report that his ISP had blocked certain traffic in an appliance just outside his house (this thread http://remotepotatoforums.fatattitude.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=911).

The fact that you reach your router setup page when using the dyndns address without :9080 indicates that your dyndns setup is correct.

Good luck!
PeeWee
Wise Potato

Re: Can't access RP using Port Forwarding

Postby andreaseide » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:16 pm

Another thing.
Did you remember to write http:// in front of your address?
It might not work without.
--AndreasE--
Remote Potato Forum Moderator.

FAQ: How to post debug logs | How to clear your browser cache
andreaseide
Wise Potato

Return to Support - Streaming / Network / Connectivity