Cannot Access From Outside World

Can't access your home PC, or stream from it over the Internet? Need to forward ports? Post your problems here, exchange tips and read the FAQ about how to get things working.
Forum rules
No spamming, flaming or excessive self-promotion.

Re: Cannot Access From Outside World

Postby jasondefuria » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:33 am

Paul,

I am having the same issues as you, and very similar logs. I've traced the problem to the following. I'm going to make the following assumptions about your setup:
1. You are using a Ceton Infinitv.
2. You have used Networked Tuners Setup

The networked tuners setup creates a bridged network connection between your ethernet port and the Infinitv tuners. I am able to trace the problem to something here, but not sure how to fix it. I can fix Remote Potato by going into the Ceton diganostics and resetting my network tuners. As long as the tuners aren't networked locally through the Ceton program, I can use every single feature both at home and away from home. I think it has something to do with the bridging process.

Let me know if you're in the same boat! If you aren't, I'll have to open my own thread as to not hijack yours :)

Jay
jasondefuria
Raw Potato

Postby jasondefuria » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:00 am

Paul,

Are you port forwarding 9080-9083? I ended up missing 9083, and somehow it worked before when it wasn't bridged, but because of the bridge I needed that port added (actually enabled...it was there but not checked off).

Jay
jasondefuria
Raw Potato

Postby paulsoncpa » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:04 am

actually, I am using a hauppauge tuner card
http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/ ... r2250.html

Update:
Sofware changes -
I uninstalled Windows Security Essentials, disabled Windows Firewall
Network Setup Changes -
I connected the Desktop (where RP is installed) directly to the LAN1 Port on my E3000 router (rather than through the Gigabyte Switch).

Still getting the same problem - Can access RP from my laptop connected wirelessly through the to the network to http://paulsoncpa.dyndns-home.com:9080. However, again cannot access from outside the home network. And as previously stated, my router logs are not showing any incoming attempts to access the router. So I am still stuck.
paulsoncpa
Potato

Postby paulsoncpa » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:51 am

Update:
Turned off All firewalls and Windows Defender and bypassed the wireless router (straight to the internet source). Tested the ports (@ canyouseeme.org) and still getting the connection timed out message. So at this point, please correct me if I am wrong, but it essentially has to be something at the ISP level or is there something else?

Just to revisit my RP access issues:
On my computer with that has the RP Server, I can access RP through both of these methods:
192.168.1.136:9080
paulsoncpa.dyndns-home.com:9080 (I haven't gone back to the tutorial, but I shouldn't be able to connect this way on the computer with RP on it, correct so this indicates a problem?)

On my laptop connected wirelessly to the network (internal LAN) I can connect to RP through paulsoncpa.dyndns-home.com:9080 but cannont connect through 192.168.1.136:9080 (which is expected correct?).

So I am awaiting a call back from the ISP who has forwarded my request to the next level of service technicians to look into.
Will let you know what I hear.
paulsoncpa
Potato

Postby andreaseide » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:48 pm

Are you sure that there are no firewall enabled in your router?
And that your dyndns correctly forward to your ip?
By pinging your address i get 67.55.246.215
Can you check if you get the same at whatsmyip.com?
--AndreasE--
Remote Potato Forum Moderator.

FAQ: How to post debug logs | How to clear your browser cache
andreaseide
Wise Potato

Postby paulsoncpa » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:10 am

See the snippets of the screen shot from my router configuration page. Firewall is enabled, but I de-selected the "filter anonymous internet requests" to allow incoming traffic.
Router Security.JPG
Router Security.JPG (77.17 KiB) Viewed 9313 times

Reasons I don't believe it is the router is (and it is something with the ISP):
1) I took all equipment out of the picture and connected straight to the internet, (shutting off all firewalls and virus protection) - still same problem
2) Router security logs are not showing anything for incoming activity (i would assume it would log any attempts to access the router/network from the internet.

I believe everything is forwarded correctly for my dyndns account. I did get the same IP 67.55.246.215 that you stated below. and this is reflected in my dyndns updater on my computer
DynDns Updater.JPG
DynDns Updater.JPG (61.94 KiB) Viewed 9313 times

So I am going to follow up with the ISP to find out if they have done anything to look into this (since they were supposed to call me back and I have not heard from them) Will let you know.
paulsoncpa
Potato

Postby andreaseide » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:16 pm

Hi.

Do you know if you can create any exceptions in your firewall?

Have you tried disabling the firewall in the Router just for a while to test if that works?

You may of course be correct in that it is an issue with your provider.
--AndreasE--

andreaseide
Wise Potato

IT WORKS!!!!!!!!

Postby paulsoncpa » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:09 pm

As I suspected, the box sitting outside my house (where fiber connection to the house is made ) is essentially the "modem" and had contained some firewalls that were blocking incoming connections. They have a special setup for these scenarios (originally set up for the Xbox users in town) and the firmware had to be upgraded on the box. The Telephone Co told me they have this enabled to protect the "not so technology savy" customers, so I will now be unprotected at their level.

So, next step will be to get my android phone (when the Samsung Galaxy S2 is released) and it should be complete.......I'm pumped....

thanks for your help and a donation will soon follow :D !
paulsoncpa
Potato

Postby andreaseide » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:11 am

Great to hear that it works for you.
Samsung S2 is already released, at least in Norway.
Remember to download the Remote Media Center app. It's great.
--AndreasE--

andreaseide
Wise Potato

Postby paulsoncpa » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:14 pm

I will get that app once I get the phone. here in the Good ol USA, we don't get the Galaxy S2 for another couple of weeks so I have to wait.

On a side note, I am still trying to figure out what to do about the music. I keep a .wav copy of my music (so I have full cd quality in case my old cds get scratched) as well as an itunes copy (for my 120Gig ipod). I would rather not create another separate mp3 copy so I need to figure out what route I want to go with that. Probably not that big of deal in the grand scheme of things as I was mainly concerned about accessing video.

Thanks again for your assistance!
Chris
paulsoncpa
Potato

Previous

Return to Support - Streaming / Network / Connectivity