Cannot Access From Outside World

Can't access your home PC, or stream from it over the Internet? Need to forward ports? Post your problems here, exchange tips and read the FAQ about how to get things working.
Forum rules
No spamming, flaming or excessive self-promotion.

Cannot Access From Outside World

Postby paulsoncpa » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:33 pm

Got everything setup including the port forwarding to 9080 and have been able to do the following:
- Access RP on Media Center PC (where the RP server is housed) through the computer IP address

- Access RP on my work laptop through http://username.dyndns-home.com:9080/ from inside the home network (accessed through wireless router).

However, once I try to access externally, it will not connect.

Ran the port test and it gave me the "connection timed out" message so I believe it is my router port forwarding configuration.
I am using Windows Firewall and it is showing the RP exception rules, so I think it boils down to the router and am needing assistance on the final configuration.
Attached is my network map configuration which shows the setup and connection. My router is a Linksys E3000. It also has my port forward configuration screen from the router.

On a side note, I have the dyndns updater installed for now. Once I have everything configured properly, I will probably switch to the internal router updater since it has that capability. If anybody has experience with the embedded DNS updater, let me know if they have had problems and if I may run into problems with the conversion.

I appreciate any assistance as I plan on getting a new android smartphone in the next month and would like to have access set up for this.
Thanks!
Attachments
Network setup.docx
Network Setup/Port Forwarding screenshot
(336.85 KiB) Downloaded 330 times
paulsoncpa
Potato

Re: Cannot Access From Outside World

Postby paulsoncpa » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:43 pm

It sounds like I am experiencing the same issues with jbravo below.

I just put a call into my ISP (local telephone company) to discuss the setup and if that may be the source of issues.
paulsoncpa
Potato

Postby andreaseide » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:32 pm

Hi.
I am not sure about this.
What does the column headings for your rules say?
Is it port from 9080 to 9080?
Do your router have an internal firewall enabled?
I had to forward my ports, and create rules in the internal firewall in my router.
Are you sure that your dyndns work?
Have you tried your external ip from your external computer?
--AndreasE--
Remote Potato Forum Moderator.

FAQ: How to post debug logs | How to clear your browser cache
andreaseide
Wise Potato

Postby paulsoncpa » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:21 pm

I believe the headings are "Internal Port" and "External Port" under the single port forwarding screen. There is the "Port Range Forwarding" where you have the start & end ports. (I originally enabled the 9081-9083 for a range in addition to the 9080, but it didn't do anything).

Here is the link to the user guide. http://homedownloads.cisco.com/download ... NC-WEB.pdf

I didn't tweak this yet and am pretty sure it is enabled (so essentially I have two firewalls running, the router and my Computer). I will play around with this and see what happens, however I didn't think this would be a problem as I had a Cisco technician remotely access my computer when we were working through some router issues.

Also, my dyndns account was working fine. I could enter the address:port to access the remote potato server from the laptop connected wirelessly, but could not access it from an external network. I will have to check this again, but I believe if I went to the address alone (withou specifying a port), it would go to my router configuration/administration page (after asking for a password of course).

So I believe it is something in the router's firewall that is preventing the information getting through the router. (on a side note, I had asked the question whether anybody had problems using the internal Dyndns updater in the E3000 router). My question was answered this mornining when I received an email notifying me my account had been blocked for abusive updates. So the router is sending updates on the hour vs when it changes which is causing my account to be suspended. I will switch back to the dyndns updater going forward)
paulsoncpa
Potato

Postby PeeWee » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:42 pm

Hi Paul,

It seems you have set up everything correctly, your portforwardiung rule is correct. This is affirmed by the fact you can reach the mediacenter pc from within your network using the dyndns address. That way, the networkpackets first travel outside your LAN via your router to the ISP's routing tables, which send the packets back to the router once the ISP routing tables have determined the dyndns destination address is in fact the same as the sender's address from which the packets originated. These packets end up at the mediacenter pc, otherwise your request would never have been answered & you wouldn't be able to see the Remote Potato interface.

Are you using the same laptop connected externally (via the 3G network of your phone for instance)? It should just work.

Could you install this portcheck program on the mediacenter pc? It allows you to do a end-to-end check from the mediacenter pc itself. http://portforward.com/help/portcheck.htm
PeeWee
Wise Potato

Postby paulsoncpa » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:11 pm

Are you using the same laptop connected externally (via the 3G network of your phone for instance)? It should just work.

Yes. I was using my work laptop and have tried to access it while at work to test it. I also have had other family members try the address with no success so that ruled out the possiblity that the work firewall was preventing access.

I did run the port check tool you referenced and I believe it stated the port was not open. I will re-run it again when I get home to double check. I may disable the firewall router to see if that is the problem, but I don't want that to be a permanent solution and will look for a workaround if that is case.
Thanks for your help!
paulsoncpa
Potato

Postby paulsoncpa » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:28 am

got back home to try the port checker tool you suggested.
Ping Result: We were not able to ping your router
Port Check result: Your port is not open or reachable

On a side note, I tried to run it with RP server going and it wouldn't do it (told be to close the program accessing the port)
paulsoncpa
Potato

Update

Postby paulsoncpa » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:31 am

Spoke with the ISP and said I am assigned a public ip address so all ports should be open and not blocked.

So the next contact I make will be with Cisco to see where that leads me. I did some additional configuration by giving my computer a static ip to see if that may help....and it didn't.

Couple of thing of note (or may not be relevant at all):

- check my inbound traffic log for the router and there is nothing....no log entry showing that someone from the outside world is attempting to access the router or port

- this is an exerpt from the RP server log details
"7/14/2011 5:56:36 AM: GetExternalIPAsync Exception raised.
7/14/2011 5:56:36 AM: EXCEPTION DETAILS: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. RPServer at RemotePotatoServer.Network.IPHelper.QueryExternalIPAsync()"

Not sure what that means and if it has anything to do with it, but it occurs in several places.
paulsoncpa
Potato

Postby PeeWee » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:41 am

Hi Paul,

This is a interesting one. When trying the portchecker, there should have least been a log entry in the router indicating that the server of the portchecking tool firm made an attempt. Also your relatives trying to access Remote Potato should have been logged i presume.
Have you even been able to access any other services on your htpc from the outside (i.e. LogMeIn or Teamviewer or a webserver)?

I'm inclined to think the RP log entry is not the cause but the consequence of the problem, i'm just not sure yet...

Update: Hi, just read this, does this apply to you?:

[EDIT] WOW! I actually found out what stopped my Remote Potato/Remote Media Center/Moboplayer streaming!!! I had switched to Microsoft Security Essentials while I have been debugging my Ceton InfiniTV network connections...The Ceton still isn't working as a network enabled TV tuner BUT I just uninstalled Microsoft Security Essentials and voila, streaming to my android phone started as good as ever...I reinstalled Norton Internet Security 2011 and again, as before, everything is working A-OK. Sorry for the false alarm!!! BOO on Microsoft Security Essentials!!! [/EDIT]
PeeWee
Wise Potato

Postby paulsoncpa » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:49 am

Have you even been able to access any other services on your htpc from the outside (i.e. LogMeIn or Teamviewer or a webserver)?

I have not. Upgraded to Windows 7 earlier this summer and was just starting to get the more advanced things set up (remote desktop, media streaming, etc.) So I have yet to make any attempt to set up access from outside the network.

I do have Windows Security Essentials. I will uninstall and give it a shot. If that is the problem, I hope there can be a workaround for it as I like the software. I will uninstall first to see if that is the root of the problem. If that is successfull, I may reinstall to see if we can find a work around.

I am not in too big of rush to get this up and running until I upgrade my phone, so I have not hit panic mode yet and will keep plugging away.
paulsoncpa
Potato

Next

Return to Support - Streaming / Network / Connectivity