Wake-on-LAN (WoL) Setup Tutorial

Can't access your home PC, or stream from it over the Internet? Need to forward ports? Post your problems here, exchange tips and read the FAQ about how to get things working.
Forum rules
No spamming, flaming or excessive self-promotion.

Re: Wake-on-LAN (WoL) Setup Tutorial

Postby PeeWee » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:35 am

Aaronac8 wrote:I have tomato firmware on my router and am able to WOL through the firmwares tools menu, but
When my pc is asleep the remote potato server does not wake my pc and connect to it; I need to remotely access my routers tools menu to WOL then open remote potato. How do I have remote potato WOL AND open its server? Any help is greatly appreciated!

I don't understand. Remote Potato Server is on the htpc you are waking up, isn't it? As soon as you wake up the htpc through WOL, the Remote Potato Service on that htpc will start running also, so you can reach the Remote Potato Server on the htpc from another pc or the internet.
PeeWee
Wise Potato

Postby Aaronac8 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:42 pm

I wanted to know how to have remote potato wake my htpc without having to do a TWO step procedure (i.e. (1) use WOL through my routers tool menu and then (2) open remote potato)
Aaronac8
Raw Potato

Postby PeeWee » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:12 pm

Aaronac8 wrote:I wanted to know how to have remote potato wake my htpc without having to do a TWO step procedure (i.e. (1) use WOL through my routers tool menu and then (2) open remote potato)

A, is see. Alas, thats not possible when accessing Remote Potato from a pc (the HTML or Silverlight interface on the pc will only connect to the Remote Potato Server when the Remote Potato Server is started first (i.e. the server is awake)).
The app Remote Media Center on Android is capable of waking the Remote Potato Server from within the app (with the help of an extra installled app like Wol Wake On Lan).
PeeWee
Wise Potato

Postby Aaronac8 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:45 pm

When I use my iphone with the remote potato app and my htpc is in sleep mode, I am unable to connect to the server; unless I FIRST remotely wake my pc with my routers administration interface....Is there a way to configure my router to AUTOMATICALLY WOL my htpc when using the remote potato app on my iphone?
Aaronac8
Raw Potato

Postby PeeWee » Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:14 pm

No, thats not possible. There is no way for your router to tell wether you are using the Remote Potato app on your iPhone or not. Your best shot is to find an app for your iPhone which can send WOL packets from yopur phone, so you don't have to log in to your Routers Web addministration page first. Be aware that such a WOL app very likely will only work when you are at home & connected to your LAN. It won't work when you are away (via the internet) unless your router supports forwarding WOL packtes (highly unlikely).
PeeWee
Wise Potato

Previous

Return to Support - Streaming / Network / Connectivity