New to Remote Potato

Can't access your home PC, or stream from it over the Internet? Need to forward ports? Post your problems here, exchange tips and read the FAQ about how to get things working.
Forum rules
No spamming, flaming or excessive self-promotion.

New to Remote Potato

Postby jkuhband » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:56 pm

Ok so, read the forms to setup remote potato and still having issues. Running remote potato on WHS 2011 server and have a Linksys E3000 router. Setup port range forwarding 9080-9083 and checked the activate box saved settings. Set remote potato to connect to ext IP address but i cannot connect via internal nor external IP address on my iPad. Not sure what I did wrong and looking for some help PLEASE
jkuhband
New Potato

Re: New to Remote Potato

Postby PeeWee » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:07 am

Hi, portforwarding is only involved outside your Lan (external ip address), so something else is wrong. I presume your iPad is connected to the same internal network IP range as the WHS box. Did you enter the server credentials (ip address) into the iPad app without the leading http://?
PeeWee
Wise Potato

Postby jkuhband » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:36 am

correct i followed the instructions. put my servers ip 192.168.1.xxx into the iPad in my internal network and said port 9080 but still cannot connect
jkuhband
New Potato

Postby Sysmg2 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:16 pm

Did you check your servers firewall settings. Software firewalls could be blocking communication.
Sysmg2
New Potato

Postby jkuhband » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:53 pm

Sysmg2 wrote:Did you check your servers firewall settings. Software firewalls could be blocking communication.

I turned off all firewalls on the server. Even turned off the routers firewall.

and still cannot connect internally or externally

i even turned on DMZ on the router and uninstalled/reinstalled remote potato.
jkuhband
New Potato

Postby Sysmg2 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:45 pm

jkuhband wrote:
and still cannot connect internally or externally

i even turned on DMZ on the router and uninstalled/reinstalled remote potato.

Since you cannot connect internally then the problem is with accessing the remote potato server. You can ignore trouble shooting the router (since it would not impact accessing the server locally). First I'd figure out the internal IP address of the server (on the server run CMD.EXE and at the prompt enter IPCONFIG /ALL) and from the internal (on the same network) client machine try to do a ping (from CMD.EXE on the client do a PING 192.168.1.5 - use the ip address found from IPCONFIG on the server). If the ping fails you've get a real network problem (like your client could be connected to a different wireless route than the server - maybe a neighbor?). If it succeeds, from the same client machine try telneting to the server port 9080 (if that's what you use) (also from CMD.EXE). Use the command TELNET 192.168.1.5 9080 . If you get a cleared screen then telnet is able to open a port to Remote Potato on your server and you are not having a networking or PC problem (hit ctl-] and then enter quit to exit). If you get an error "Could not open connection... Connect failed" then for some reason remote potato is not running or not listening on port 9080. You can check if (and what port) remote potato is listening to by using the NETSTAT command on the server (also from CMD.EXE). Use the command NETSTAT -a and you should see your hostname:9080 ... with a state of LISTENING. If not then Remote Potato is not successfully running on your server.

Good luck.
Sysmg2
New Potato

Postby jkuhband » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:33 pm

Thank you i figured out the issue was with the WHS 11 firewall even though they were turned off. Switched over to a win 7 box that that fixed most of my issues i can connect now. i just have a few bugs i need to work out
jkuhband
New Potato

Return to Support - Streaming / Network / Connectivity