connectivity problems

Can't access your home PC, or stream from it over the Internet? Need to forward ports? Post your problems here, exchange tips and read the FAQ about how to get things working.
Forum rules
No spamming, flaming or excessive self-promotion.

connectivity problems

Postby pburchins » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:36 am

Sorry that my first post is about problems.

I have downloaded by the Windows 7 and Ipad2 App of Remote Potato. It sounded like it was the program for me to access Media Center on Windows 7. So, far I have spent several hours and have gotten nowhere. I just want to use it on my wireless network at home and it does not work. I have the following hardware......

ActionTec-DSL Modem
DLink DIR-655 wireless router
Ipad 2 16G wifi only
Lenova Desktop with Windows 7

I have gone into the DLink route setup and went to port forwarding. I have opened 9080-9083 in TCP. Set the schedule as Always. Entered the IP address for my desktop. Went to UDP and entered 9080-9083 as well and allowed all in the inbound filter. click a little box next to the rule and saved it.

I went to Actiontec setup program and I am having problems there. I went to port forwarding. I could not find remote potato and finally created my own rule under User. Rule name was Remotepotato, Protocol-TCP, Port start 9080, Port end 9083 and I left the Port Map Start Blank. When I save this I get a Invalid Port Value error.

Can anyone offer some help please ?
pburchins
Raw Potato

Re: connectivity problems

Postby pburchins » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:47 am

Another thing......I went to use DynDS as recommended. It does not appear to be free anymore. They only offered a 14 day trial. Am I doing it wrong here?
pburchins
Raw Potato

Postby PeeWee » Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:17 pm

No port forwarding of any kind is needed if you just want to use Remote Potato on your home network. Just enter your Lenovo Desktop ip address (without http://) in the IPad2 app and it should connect (assuming there is no firewall program on the desktop blocking those ports).
PeeWee
Wise Potato

Postby andreaseide » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:36 pm

But, if you do want to use it externally you could try to enter 9080 as start map port.
You could look at www.no-ip.com for a free dns service.
--AndreasE--
Remote Potato Forum Moderator.

FAQ: How to post debug logs | How to clear your browser cache
andreaseide
Wise Potato

Postby OHRICKSTER » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:15 pm

You need to put your actiontec dsl modem in transparent bridge mode. The manual is not the greatest at explaining how to do this. Basically, your router should be doing the forwarding but your dsl modem is acting as a router and you need to turn this off so your dlink router can do it's job.
OHRICKSTER
Raw Potato

Postby PeeWee » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:14 am

OHRICKSTER wrote:You need to put your actiontec dsl modem in transparent bridge mode. The manual is not the greatest at explaining how to do this. Basically, your router should be doing the forwarding but your dsl modem is acting as a router and you need to turn this off so your dlink router can do it's job.

I presume your ActionTec DSL modem is your connection to the public internet. In that case, make sure your DSL modem is hooked to the WAN port of your router, otherwise putting your actiontec dsl modem in bridge mode exposes your internal LAN to the Internet!

But, your DSl modem plays no part in using Remote Potato intenrally. As a matter of fact, you can turn it off and still use Remote Potato inside your house.
I presume your Lenovo Desktop (with Remote Potato Server running) and your iPad are connected to the same D-Link wireless router. Therefore they should 'see' eachother, and if you enter the LOCAL IP address of your Lenovo desktop in the server credentials of your iPad, it should just work (no forwarding needed)
PeeWee
Wise Potato

Return to Support - Streaming / Network / Connectivity