Modem/Router problems

Can't access your home PC, or stream from it over the Internet? Need to forward ports? Post your problems here, exchange tips and read the FAQ about how to get things working.
Forum rules
No spamming, flaming or excessive self-promotion.

Modem/Router problems

Postby rtbee » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:23 am

Hi Everyone,
I'm new to remote potato and I love it so far! I have the following problem:
I'm currently set up with a Qwest M1000 modem, and behind that modem is a Belkin wireless n router. I have set up port forwarding on the router for 9080 and 9081-9083 as required. When I am at home, and I enter the internal address for my router with the port (http://192.168.0.7:9080) I'm able to access remote potato with no problems (which is great when I want to watch TV in another part of my house).

When I try to access it from outside by entering http://myexternalip:9080 I get nothing. Anyone have any tips to get me going in the right direction on how to approach this issue?

Thanks,
Rick
rtbee
Raw Potato

Re: Modem/Router problems

Postby PeeWee » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:11 am

Hi RtBee,

There is something weird if i read your post carefully. You state that when you enter your internal **router** address 192.168.0.7:9080 you can connect to RP. But that makes no sense because portforwarding works between your WAN port(s) and your LAN port(s). When you are connecting to your router from inside your home, you are accessing a LAN port, not the WAN port, therefore there should not be portforwarding involved. Inside your home, only accessing the **HTPC ** directly at port 9080 should work.

I advise to use a port checker program (google "port checker", first hit) to determine if you really opened up to the internet.

Good luck!
PeeWee
Wise Potato

Return to Support - Streaming / Network / Connectivity