howto for custom ffmpeg options?

Can't access your home PC, or stream from it over the Internet? Need to forward ports? Post your problems here, exchange tips and read the FAQ about how to get things working.
Forum rules
No spamming, flaming or excessive self-promotion.

howto for custom ffmpeg options?

Postby ianken » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:57 am

I just tried adding -coder 1 in there and it, as warned, broke streaming. but that one option tweak seems pretty simple. My rig is fast, seems cabac would be a logical choice for encoding....

So, what can actually be done with this feature?
ianken
Hot Potato

Re: howto for custom ffmpeg options?

Postby axioms » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:43 pm

I would like to know this as well. I have severe jitter issues when streaming HD video. My conclusion is RP just cannot handle streaming any recording that uses h264 inside the WTV container. HD Recordings that use MPEG inside the WTV container playes back just fine. I am in the US and the majority of HD broadcasts now use H264. This renders HD playback pretty much useless. I was hoping to get some feedback as to what I can do to remedy this situation and have heard nothing. So I was hoping that I could maybe play around with some ffmpeg options to see if that would help. I really dont want to mess with the ffmpeg options, but I dont know what else to do. I would really just like to know why I am getting the jiiter in the first place. Also, Jitter may not be the right word. Its hard to describe, its like the video is not in sync when it plays, its not smooth, their are brief periods where the video will play really fast then slow down, then play really fast again. Its a repeating cyle which makes watching very painful. This only happens when I stream (Web browser or ipad2). Splashtop remote streams the same recordings just fine to my ipad2, no jitter at all. The video also plays fine when played from Windows Media Center. As of right now, I can only watch/stream SD recordings (these play back just fine) which is a shame because after all, the the ipad app is called "Remote Potato HD".
axioms
New Potato

Re: howto for custom ffmpeg options?

Postby ianken » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:13 am

Who's broadcasting in H.264 in the US? Comcast is standardized on MPEG2 still, as is every major cable MSO. And while ATSC was updated to allow for H.264 I'm unaware of anyone actually using it.

The only folks who have aggressively moved to H.264 are the satellite providers and some IPTV folks, like AT&T UVerse.

Anyway, if you're in an area doing H.264 and your MC rig is handling it, that's awesome. Outside of Japan we did very little testing as that was the only place doing H.264 at the time of Win7 development.

Update: looks like some US MSOs are moving some premium tiers to H.264. Chances are it will all be encrypted, but there it is.

-Ian
ianken
Hot Potato

Return to Support - Streaming / Network / Connectivity