Server HW for good streaming

Can't access your home PC, or stream from it over the Internet? Need to forward ports? Post your problems here, exchange tips and read the FAQ about how to get things working.
Forum rules
No spamming, flaming or excessive self-promotion.

Server HW for good streaming

Postby Coorzman » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:08 pm

First off, thanks for this incredible product. This is the missing link in Windows Media Center. I just got my HTPC going thanks to my Father's day present of a HDHomerun Prime :D ! Last night I was streaming to an iPad2 with the iPad app and encountered alot of queuing (spinning gear). I'm using Wireless N 2.4ghz. Now I noticed on the server that ffmpeg.exe was pegged at 90-100% if I choose high to HD quality. I backed the stream quality down and ffmpeg.exe ran @ 50-70%. I have a Dual Core E4400 @ 2.0 ghz and 4gb of RAM. I know this is probably very low for streaming so I was wondering what would be a good CPU to shoot for that wont break the bank and give me good streaming performance. I'm looking at the AMD A4 3400 apu @ 2.7ghz. Any other suggestions? Should I look into a dual band Wireless N router? I have 2 routers at my house, one is Wireless G and the other is the N. I had the same queuing on either router. It really seemed like the queing was more due to the server just not being able to keep up with the transcoding.
Coorzman
Raw Potato

Re: Server HW for good streaming

Postby andreaseide » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:04 pm

I don't think that your intrnal network bandwidth would do anything on your streaming.

Not sure about CCU tough. Maybe a Intel i5 or i7?
Don't know much about AMD...
--AndreasE--
Remote Potato Forum Moderator.

FAQ: How to post debug logs | How to clear your browser cache
andreaseide
Wise Potato

Return to Support - Streaming / Network / Connectivity